Question Drivers door rattles

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just as header states, when going over bumps door rattles - If I hold against it, it stops.. The rubber all seems to be in good condition and the stops do as well... Tried adjusting striker but it is not moveable.. Any thoughts.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a "fix" for quieting the ride some time ago... I recall that you run vinyl tubing inside the hollow weather stripping all around the door. This tightens it up considerably and makes it quieter. I guess it would provide enough extra compression to reduce or eliminate your rattle? Somebody on here will recall the details...

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There was a "fix" for quieting the ride some time ago... I recall that you run vinyl tubing inside the hollow weather stripping all around the door. This tightens it up considerably and makes it quieter. I guess it would provide enough extra compression to reduce or eliminate your rattle? Somebody on here will recall the details...

Great! I will try searching for that, sounds like a good idea..

Ok searched to no avail.. Any other info?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The strike does not adjust, as you now know. The pin on the door is adjustable. Loosen it and move it OUT to move the door in, and then TIGHTEN it up good.

Dave

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The strike does not adjust, as you now know. The pin on the door is adjustable. Loosen it and move it OUT to move the door in, and then TIGHTEN it up good.

Dave

Thanks Guys,
I did find that article last night - thanks for the help...
DaveBen, I did move the door latch, but was only able to get about 1/16" out of it.. I will try and shim the stops first, then weather strip if no go.. Thanks again.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
I did find that article last night - thanks for the help...
DaveBen, I did move the door latch, but was only able to get about 1/16" out of it.. I will try and shim the stops first, then weather strip if no go.. Thanks again.

don't waste the effort.. run to Lowe's and get enough of that clear vinyl tubing to go around the entire door frame... stop by NAPA on the way home and pick up a gallon of Ruglyde (dish soap gets sticky when as it dries).. just pull the weatherstrip off the door frame, and give it a colonsocopy with the clear tubing. Cut to length and re-install...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't waste the effort.. run to Lowe's and get enough of that clear vinyl tubing to go around the entire door frame... stop by NAPA on the way home and pick up a gallon of Ruglyde (dish soap gets sticky when as it dries).. just pull the weatherstrip off the door frame, and give it a colonsocopy with the clear tubing. Cut to length and re-install...

X2.

And'a Fish Tape, to pull the vinyl through.. and'a "Helper" helps.

Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old F-150 had the same problem. I found in my case that the striker had a plastic tube on it and it was gone. I put a new striker on it problem fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl