driveshaft carrier bearing ?'s

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
mine does not have a big nut by the carrier bearing, huh. I got the old bearing off with a cutoff wheel. Just waiting for the new one to show up at O'riley. I will try the PVC trick since I live 15 miles from any company with a press.

They must have changed the driveshaft after they built mine. :dunno
There was no mistaking that nut. It took a 3/4" socket set and a BIG breaker bar with a 5' cheater on the end. I'm guessing it took ball park of 400ft/lbs to break it loose. I almost broke my work bench doing so.

Oh well, glad you got it figured out.

GetSmoke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If your lifted, eliminate the CB and just go with the straight shaft.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If your lifted, eliminate the CB and just go with the straight shaft.

Brian @ Brian's Truck Shop does not recommend doing that. When I last visited him, he told me that he has seen many trannys with the tail shaft housing broken due to 1pc driveshafts.

It's a quick cure that can lead to a worse problem later on.

Last edited:

GetSmoke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Brian @ Brian's Truck Shop does not recommend doing that. When I last visited him, he told me that he has seen many trannys with the tail shaft housing broken due to 1pc driveshafts.

It's a quick cure that can lead to a worse problem later on.
Thanks for the info TG.
I'll ask my tranny guy what he's seen.
Is it from too much direct torque to a heavier shaft?

My tranny is rebuilt and mod with new torque convertor...might be make the issue more problematic.

I'll keep an eye on it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this thread and I am not sure about the single piece driveshaft being hard on the tranny output housing. I have a single piece driveshaft from the factory. Never had any problems in any of the trucks I have owned and they all had single piece driveshafts. It is NOT the weight of the driveshaft, so what else can cause a failure?

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this thread and I am not sure about the single piece driveshaft being hard on the tranny output housing. I have a single piece driveshaft from the factory. Never had any problems in any of the trucks I have owned and they all had single piece driveshafts. It is NOT the weight of the driveshaft, so what else can cause a failure?
Dave

I'm thinking wheel base and/or the off center angle from the tranny to the rear diff..

My thoughts are if it came with a 2 pc driveshaft, don't replace it with a single piece. If BTS says "don't do it", then I ain't gonna. He's far more knowledgeable & experienced than I am, so it isn't up to me to 2nd guess him. If BTS wanted to make money fixing busted tailshaft housings, he would have said "No problem, go right ahead".

My carrier bearing and u-joints lasted for over 290,000 miles when the carrier bearing started making noise. I replaced all the u-joints along with the carrier bearing at the same time. If they last only another 150,000 miles, it'll most likely be the next owner fixing them next time.

I hope in the next 3 to 4 years to be driving a 6.7.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did not mean this response to be argumentative. I was looking for an education on this subject. I will go along with Brain on this also. :) Thank you TG.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I did not mean this response to be argumentative. I was looking for an education on this subject. I will go along with Brain on this also. :) Thank you TG.

Dave

Nothing taken from ur comments, just discussing.

We're still good.:sauced

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim