Driveshaft vibration

AJ'sDad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think I have the dreaded driveshaft vibration. My X has the F350 rear blocks. My tires have 3000 miles on them and I'm running Centramatics. The vibration starts around 65-70 and gets worse the faster I go.

I'm planning on installing a CV (double cardan) joint in the rear shaft unless I hear of some miracle cure.

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions....

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
AJ'sDad said:
I think I have the dreaded driveshaft vibration. My X has the F350 rear blocks. My tires have 3000 miles on them and I'm running Centramatics. The vibration starts around 65-70 and gets worse the faster I go.

I'm planning on installing a CV (double cardan) joint in the rear shaft unless I hear of some miracle cure.

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions....

Have your driveshaft professionally balanced.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome back AJ :D :sweet I know I may have asked you in the past but which tires are you running,psi in them and have you road force balanced them lately?

My recent experience with 65 mph-up vibration led to out of round tires:rolleyes:

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Well,

I would think the Centramatics would take care of most of the balance issue in the tires.

But I might be wrong???

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, driveshaft issues. I just ordered one from high angle driveline. Jesse has a lot of experience with the excursion problems. Some trucks from the factory are sent out with flanges that are not true, causing a lot of problems. There are some more problems with them also. The excursions CAN be a PITA. Give Jesse a call- (530) 877-2875. Just leave a message and he'll get back to you. His service is great and the stuff I bought from him in the past has been perfect.

AJ'sDad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This issue happened with my old tires and my brand new ones. The old ones were Cooper Discoverer ATs 285 with 55 in the front and 50 in the rear, unloaded. The new tires are Toyo Open Country AT 295s with 55 in the front and 50 in the rear, unloaded, maybe a hair less. I've not checked them in over a month. The truck is no longer my daily driver.

I've had tires out of balance, go out of round and also had the cords fail. I could always isolate which corner was bad. I can't do that with this vibration and neither can any of my passengers.

Psalm 23

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD and I have and have had driveshaft vibration issues. At about 50k I had the U-Joints replaced and it cured the issue for about 40k miles. Then the issues returned again... While it can be annoying to some, I drive my truck about 1k miles per a week, so I am use to the vibration. My vibration occurs in the 67 - 69 mph range and makes a resonating sound. However, my exhaust sound is so loud (4" ATS stainless turbo back to 5" ATS Stainless Tip (straight pipe - no muffler) that I really don't pay any attention to it. My truck has a lot of performance mods and a 6" lift with Pro Comp 33s. Where is this guy Jesse at (530) 877-2875 located? Do you have to send him your driveshaft or does he do a core swap set up similar to what occurs with a transmission or engine?

Any help would be appreciated? If I am going to spend money on this issue again, I would like it to be the right fix. A Ford diesel tech at one point had mentioned that the driveshaft needed to be lengthed- that is what originally prompted the U-Joint repairs.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesse just builds a new shaft. I installed it and it helped big time. I don't know where he's located though. I had it shipped to my shop. I think his website is highangledriveline.com...........

Munkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had vibration on my 05 after the lift. Seeing the 05's have a double joint up front already I had my shaft rebalanced and lengthend 3/4" but it still got vibration. The driveline place told me that's all they could do and not even getting the shaft you guys are talking about would do any different on my truck. Mines not driveline related. My buddy did what you guys are doing and his has been fine now for 60k. I got my new tires rebalanced after 1k and one of them spun 180 degrees and it helped for a while. I then had them rotated and rebalanced after 8k and there is still vibration but seems to depend on the road also so :dunno Now just waiting to burn up the Nittos and go back to BFG A/Ts:burnit
just my experience

caryt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You don't need a DV DS unless you have a lift??...won't help. How about more info...lift- shocks? Get your stocker checked for ballance, check your DS angles!!, 86 the centramatics and get the tires checked for out of round. Check your rims!!! Then get a road force ballance.

Cary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58