dropin voltage at start ? HELP !

strokin 187

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK so this is my first time on here looks like a cool site:clap: So here is my prob i took my truck about two and half weeks ago to get the oil changed. After an hour of waiting they told me I needed a new fuel filter and also a rear cab bulb out, so I said OK. So they did all that and changed the oil went out to the truck, started the truck everything seemed fine. About four days later I started to notice that my voltage gauge was reading half or a bit lower than half. And then I also noticed when I went to start the truck that the voltage dropped down to eight on the gauge and the truck keeps acting like its not charging the batteries properly. So I put two new batteries in the truck and it still does it! Put a brand new alternator in the truck and that wasn't it either. So now I have no idea why the voltage is dropping. The truck still starts but barely! :rant If anyone has any idea where I might look next for this problem any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Brandon
Ford for life!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
First off, :welcome3 Brandon! Now we need to know what truck you are referring to? Year and model please. What modifications have you done? And what is the values of the voltages you are referring to? Saying "half" of what it was, is not helping us help you.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, :welcome3 Brandon! Now we need to know what truck you are referring to? Year and model please. What modifications have you done? And what is the values of the voltages you are referring to? Saying "half" of what it was, is not helping us help you.

What Dave said..:coffee

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
check the alternator with a multimeter. should be 14 ish when its charging correctly. let us know what ya get and we can go from there

strokin 187

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The truck is a 1999 F250 Super Duty Diesel 7.3L no modifications what so ever, the truck is bone stock. When I refer to half on the battery gauge I am refering to the stock gauage which 18 is the highest 8 being the lowest, and then there is a picture of the battery and in the gauge and the needle hovers right between the battery on the gauge. So, right in the middle basically and when I hit the key it drops to 8. The truck is a 4 X 2. Hope this helps.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
When you hit the starter, the draw is the highest. I would expect a voltage drop, but not to 8 volts. Maybe 10 or 10.5 volts. You have the glow plugs heating AND the starter creating a big draw. You need to monitor the voltages using a volt meter. Factory meters are not accurate.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the starter checked too. It could be pulling more power then needed to start. Does it sound like its turning fast or have a drag to it.

Last edited:

strokin 187

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
it drags slow then just barley starts someone else told it may be a starter issue i just:dunno thanks to all though 4 all the help ;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
From what you posted this morning, it sounds like the starter is going bad. Slow starts is a clue since you have good batteries. Take it out and have it tested.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14