Dropping The Oil Pan

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to drop my oil pan and clean the sludge out/see how bad it is in the bottom if at all.

In reading my "Haynes Manual" it says that I need to

"Remove the two bolts from the oil pump (front) end of the oil pump pick-up tube and the nut that secures the pick-up tube bracket (at the rear end of the tube), then remove the pick-up tube."

After I remove the pan from the block.

That being said. Do I need to worry about the pick-up tube and the gasket with what I want to do?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to drop my oil pan and clean the sludge out/see how bad it is in the bottom if at all.

In reading my "Haynes Manual" it says that I need to

"Remove the two bolts from the oil pump (front) end of the oil pump pick-up tube and the nut that secures the pick-up tube bracket (at the rear end of the tube), then remove the pick-up tube."

After I remove the pan from the block.

That being said. Do I need to worry about the pick-up tube and the gasket with what I want to do?

Do you have the engine out of your truck? I don't see how you could possibly pull the pan w/o removing the engine from the vehicle b/c of the crossmember in the way....:dunno

Last edited:

pleace69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To have ford replace my oilpan was $2200.00 just in labor not counting if any thing brakes while trying to pull the motor. Needless to say it hasn't been done.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they were replacing 'em under a warrenty or recall (dont know what years)
for RUST !

mbrown

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oil pan design sucks!!!

I have had mine out twice now!!!! If you don't take the motor out and try to be crafty you run the risk of warping the pan! I did not do that, but let me warn you all of this; If you go to the trouble and cost of pulling the motor, at the very least, you should replace the dipstick plug and the seal that goes in the side of the pan. Ford has an updated version depending on your year. And while your in there every seal you can think of. I did the head gaskets, ARP studs (I was in there anyway right!?) all bearings. If you get to the heads you may have the mis fortune of having worst piece of S#*T exhaust valve Ford could find! Do yourself a favor and replace them with GOOD valves. And so on, and so on, and so on!!! Or you could just run a good quality additive from now on and let it clean itself out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14