DT 466 rear main seal

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this is not sd reading, but to change out the seal on the 466 is it straight forward. and do i need any special tools thanks

04Powerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't if I recall correctly. A seal puller would be nice though. The other option is to drill it, screw in a sheet metal screw and pull it out woth pliers or vice grips. It's just a one piece lip seal. Be sure to read either the seal or the box. Some seals state that it is to be installed dry.

dieselman44641

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was an international mechanic for five years and have done a million of these remain seals and you are going to need a seal installer so that you dont mess up the rubber seal when going over the crank. Also when you go to pull the seal and you take out the rear oil pan bolts take a sharp scraper and seperate the seal from the gasket so you don't tare the oil pan gasket

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you can't get just the seal any more, i had to buy the hole plate because IH made it different seal

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a seal installer to do it, also go ahead and buy the rear main seal housing, it makes for a better job.....where do you live??? We have an installer at the shop.......

never mind, you are a long way from me......try to make a friend at the IHC dealer and borrow it. or check with some roadside repair folks:dunno

Last edited:

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a seal installer to do it, also go ahead and buy the rear main seal housing, it makes for a better job.....where do you live??? We have an installer at the shop.......

never mind, you are a long way from me......try to make a friend at the IHC dealer and borrow it. or check with some roadside repair folks:dunno

oooo yes had to get that too !! your not getting that seal on with out it ,i borrow it from IH and slip the guy $20 when i gave it back to him

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58