dt466e trouble

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 DT 466-E with a engine brake, I have no codes it runs ok at start up but about 15 min later it will start to sound like all 6 cylinders bog down and lops with a heavy cackle like it fighting something. The reading I get said it has no axl pressure when it does this but the oil pressure gauge I put on it says it has 8000lbs steady ,I cant find the ICP on the head anywhere. When it goes into this fit the oil line I have tap into it flexes at the same time, like the oil pressure is building up to much pressure in to the head and then will relax and flex up and then relax . What is strange is it does this every 7 seconds then straighten out then goes back into a fit ( dies down and has a heavy cackle ) then straightens out when it warms up it will eventually go away. All 6 cylinders do this at the same time.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Dt466

There are two sensors on the high pressure rail under the valve cover, one for the engine brake and the other to monitor ICP pressure, the regulator is on the pump and you might have a bad one, 8000 PSI is too high, 600-790 at idle and up to 5500 at WOT. There are alot of places that o-rings fail, the rail has two o-rings ontop of each injector and then where the line comes into the head there is one between the rail and the head. The 12 on the rails are two different styles and the viton (black) standard (white) usually fail with time and no maintenence. how are you testing the HPOP?

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am sorry it is 800 lbs of oil pressure i put a line in place of the of the high pressure line with a 4000 lbs pressure gauge tap in the middle but the fuel pressure on the scaner says 3 lbs,how much should i have for fuel pressure

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Dt466

So you have 80lbs of fuel pressure which is awesome for any horsepower DT466, that's okay. But the ICP pressure is what you need to see, that gauge should go higher considering the pressure does under a load. What you need to do to rule out any problems with the pump and regulator is have a inline shut off valve too, get the engine oil temp to around 220 deg and make sure the coolant temp is there also. Cardboard infront of the radiator should do, then shut the truck down, close the valve and jump the IPR with a full 12VDC, I have a switch with alligator clips and an IPR plug on the end of it, with the IPR bypassed you should PIN that gauge in a heart beat. If not the pump is weak. Another test is to rig a male air fitting to the line towards the cylinder head and listen for leaks at any of the rail/puck o-rings @ 120 PSI, minimum air is acceptable but excessive noise will tell you where the problem is. Then you can pull the valve cover to find the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58