Dual 5' Firestik tuning issue

Reepo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am having issues setting the SWR and can't get the red antenna light to go away on Ch. 1 or 40 when trying to calibrate. I am using a Cobra 29 LTD Nightwatch with dual 5' Firestik II antennas and stake mount antenna holders. I've checked for grounds and shorts in the coax, and it checks out fine. I did cut about 3 feet or so off the original coax so I didn't have a mound of cable laying in the truck. Any and all help would be appreciated so I can get this fixed.

2008 F450 Lariat Superduty

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told at one time the antennas had to be a certain distance apart. don't know if that is still true , but it might be worth checking into. good lucl

Reepo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The antennas are as far apart as I can get them (width of the truck bed). That is still the case though, something like 8 feet is ideal for separation. It's supposed to rain all day today and for the next few days to follow. I guess I'll have to drive around looking like I have a working cb installed. I'm not about to jump in and out of the bed all day long with it raining. Thanks for the suggestion though.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
My understanding is that you are not supposed to alter the length of the coax cables. They are manufactured in lengths of 9 and 18 feet due to the tuning requirements. The extra cable that you were worried about can be annoying to find a spot to bundle it up out of sight but you do need it for your radio to operate properly. Hope this helps.

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There is always discussion about the two whip situation. I run a single Predator on my tractor trailer with a Connex 3500. I can flat get out and I have little dead spot. The way that the double whip waves is like throwing stones in a pond. Everywhere the waves hit each other they cancel one another out. I am just regerjitating what I was told, but a single antannea rocks on my truck. KISS Keep it Simple Stupid for me.

Rob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14