Dual alternator conversion??

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. Just picked up a 2001 F350. LOVE IT!!
When I was shopping -the one option I really wanted was the dual alternators (I had it set up in my 78 Bronco).

Has anyone here converted from a single alternator to dual alternators?

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deadman514 said:
Hello. Just picked up a 2001 F350. LOVE IT!!
When I was shopping -the one option I really wanted was the dual alternators (I had it set up in my 78 Bronco).

Has anyone here converted from a single alternator to dual alternators?

I've wanted to with the stereo system I have in my truck and all the extra electric sucking equipment. I don't know what it entails to do this.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would think that you could do it fairly easy. I would head to the dealer and have them look up the parts on the single system and the parts on the dual system so you could compare them. I suppose it is just the upper radiator hose, alternator mount, longer belt and maybe a pulley or two. You could be the first and we could call it the dual Deadman conversion mod. Let us know what you find.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
let me piggy back to crumm,
not only will you need the hardware, but the pcm is different as well, If i remeber correctly the way its setup in the pcm is one is the primary and charges at a higher rate and the secondary is sort of a back up to supplement the load under high demands. would take some digging but I know someone in an archive has all teh gorry details.
bottom line...it can be done , all it takes is green backs

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
And the wiring is different with the second alternator. My guess is that it is a second harness that is added to the truck.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason that it could not be wired into the battery's through a regulator on its own system rather than replacing the pcm and all the harnesses.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Crumm
thats applying logic to the system. :D I would think running two through a load bank setup to "bring online" the second alt in time of need would be easy enough. similiar to what is run on marine applications.
but the truck electronics may not see it as a friend. not 100% sure how the ecm/pcm sees it, but I do know it controls the load share.
and regulates slave and master on the two setup trucks.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
let me piggy back to crumm,
not only will you need the hardware, but the pcm is different as well, If i remeber correctly the way its setup in the pcm is one is the primary and charges at a higher rate and the secondary is sort of a back up to supplement the load under high demands. would take some digging but I know someone in an archive has all teh gorry details.
bottom line...it can be done , all it takes is green backs

I also recall reading somewhere, sometime, someplace that the PCM switches the master/slave alternator on every engine start as well.

FWIW, it would be a hell of a lot easier/cheaper/faster to install a high-output alternator in the stock location than it would be to do a dual-alt conversion. While the conversion might be technically possible (with OE dual-alt functionality), it's just not worth the hassle, IMO.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Harness the charging power of two alternators on two engines to handle your house battery demands. The Centerfielder identifies the dominant alternator and directs the excite voltage from that alternator's regulator to both port and starboard alternators so both engines work equally to maximize charging performance Alternators are automatically isolated when only one engine is running, or if voltage falls below safe charging levels.

Requires regulators capable of exciting two alternators
Balmar MC-612 regulators are highly recommended
For 12V or 24V systems
4"L x 3.25"W x 1.5"H
One year warranty

yes it would these puppies start at 229.00

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Wait for roosterdiesel to chime in, if I'm not mistaken, he has been fighting issues with the factory dual setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14