Dual HP pressure hoses?

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Has there been any thought, discussion or comment on such a thing? I was looking at some pics and decided that it wouldn't hurt to do it in theory what is your take?

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thought

I dont' believe the dual hoses would do anything more then a single hose.. they are just there to help equal pressure faster, mainly on start up and Idle.. I installed one and did notice that the engine sounded better on idle, and low Rpm...for the amount of oil and the pressure being used at low rpm I dont feel it would do anything more then what one does, and at WOT the pressure i guess is around 3000psi it really cant help because under that much pressure it should be already equalized, the other thought i have is that the more hoses the more chance of sitting on the side of the road with a major oil leak and waitting for that heavy down pour of rain to end so I can climb under the hood, (because it always seems that things always go wrong at the worse time)

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RickGmi said:
I dont' believe the dual hoses would do anything more then a single hose.

Ditto--when a gas/fluid is pressurized, it exerts the same pressure equally on all parts of the container it's in. So, if you've got one HPX hose, that will do just as well as duals in equalizing pressure between the HP oil rails.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
HX hoses

I was ready to order a HPX kit and thought about how I would use it in my test bench truck. I put straight fittings in the heads. Made up two hoses with straight on one end and 90's on the other. The 90's hook to the head and both lines end at the fuel filter housing into a 4 way with a gauge port and a aux. oil rail pressure pump. This is a awesome system for info freaks like me.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pisturing a HPOP rail hose in a type of cross shape running across heads, ,,did you notice any difference from the 1 to that set up..

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
HPX

I think I understand what your saying about a cross over of two lines in an X configuration. I read about all the vendors jargon about what theres will do and the engineered size of the line. The oil flow or GPM is something I could never find any info on. I just used -4 line because the larger line size you go will change your choise of line. The 2781 Aeroquip or Parker 381 in -4 can run at 4000psi all day and not sweat, thats funny. Any hose will sweat at the end of there life just before they blow. I have two line but only for the reason of having gauge port and an additional port for my aux. big oil pump.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never measured my hoses, but im thinking that the braidded hose is only limited by the connectors and the volume of the hose , (They appear to be close to 5/16,

To the best of my ideas, I really dont believe that someone could make some statement that there line size is best, I really think that is an over statement..
when it comes to the line size being 1/4-5/16-3/8, they would all be the same or unnoticable, the hose is around 14-15 inches i believe,(never really measured the lenght) And that the volum in those sizes and for the lenght are really not a factor under the idea of what the HPOP put out in pressuer not to mention that I think the braided hose is the same size as the factory ones,

If the line was 20 ft long then I could possibly see were it could make a difference, but as long as the balance of the to oil rails are connected to help stabilize the senor more equally then there statement could only be In milliseconds of start up and return to idle, if it can really be measured,

Any chance you could postr a pic of what you did...you got my interest up

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
HPX

I understand what was said about the size, I just don't buy into the idea even exsisting in there design. They were stating that there hose size has a "acumulator" effect on the rail oil pressure. I don't know what there line size is but the term "acumulator" means an area to gather oil in a vessel for a "cushion" to the flow. I am of the same school of thought that a "acumulator" isn't needed nor will exsist to any noticable degree with a larger hose. As long as they are linked together the system will smooth out. I tried -4, -6, and -8 on my truck and stayed with the -4. The bend radius is better, they fit around the engine bay better and the smaller line of the same grade carries more pressure and a higher burst. There, I said it.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just some of my mind and reaon.from what you said as far as my thinking goes,

I would be thinking about something like a hydraulic buffer...kind of like a sturdy diaphram in a cyclinder with a spring backing that would just keep pressure spikes out and let pressure stabilize smoothly,
The only problem with something like that is that for the amount of pressure contained in the system it would have to be (in my thinking) the size of a beer can to be effective.
I Believe that would be the only way to smoothen out pressure and there line does"nt have that attached,
Hope im picturing this correctly...

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
HPX

Were on the same page here. I made my system up with two extra port's. I have a hard time seeing "spikes" in the system. I guess the only way to find out is make another long hose to mount the Gage on the cowl to watch. My high pressure systems on my big trucks were prone to spikes from operator malfunction. The cure was a pilot operated relief valve to absorb the spike. I don't know how fast the factory IPR can react and what damage if any could occur from a spike. I have things cranked up a bit and have never noticed or felt any fluctuation or RPM variance when cutting the throttle under a load. Like I had said, I could see no difference in the engine with the different size hose's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14