Dualmass Flywheel

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
How do i know if my old dual mass is finally takin a crap?
I get a little noise from the clutch area at idle, and the clutch seems to be working fine

What do ya think?

Thanks
Neal

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
My 2 cents... I went through the original dual-mass setup and two complete replacements in less than 100k on my '97 and finally believed what I had read from members' posts and installed a Luk singlemass. Drove another 100k, sold it and it is still doing fine. A little more noise but a thick blanket of foam rubber on top of the trans solves that. It is a whole lot easier to depress and my left leg is now a normal size once again. I would replace the dual-mass setup whether it needs a clutch or not. Be sure to get the upgraded fork... eliminates flexing like the OEM does.

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
i owned a 93, 94 and 96 and put LUK's in all of them. They run quieter and the lock up is definitely more notable. and he's right, noise is where it starts. If yor around Austin I have a place to get the LUK's set-up at a great price. just another opinion.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
when it gets real bad you will what soundslike change rattling in a can when you shut it off.

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I second what 94f450sd said. I noticed on some of the trucks I worked on that they would kind of feel like it was rough during braking like your rotors were warped with clutch disengaged . Replaced clutch and flywheel and it went away. I too went with LUK clutches on a 94' dually I had. I went with the cermettalic and there was no slippage. The clutch pedal was a whole lot easier to push.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My '93 dual mass went 150,000 miles before I sold the truck. Never changed the clutch, but I did do the clutch pedal assy. It wore out at the pivot points. My KW had a easier clutch to push on.

Dave

u2slow

Electrician
Reaction score
The starting and shutdown clatter was wild.

I had a used 99+ flywheel installed with the LUK clutch (the one from the SMFW kit ;) )

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Another option besides the LUK is the South Bend The LUK was the unit of choice a few years ago but nowadays guys like Swamp and Bean are recommending the South Bend rather than the LUK. I plan on going with a South Bend Con O-FE.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I' am also now getting a little noise when i let out the clutch... i just hope it holds fer a while i aint got the money now

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58