Dying to know.....

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...what the heck is wrong with my ride. Yesterday when put in reverse the motor dies. Then it does it in forward but only when it had a little uphill angle. Seems that the idle is not adjusting when it's placed in gear but will drive forwards just fine, will even sit at idle in forward gear. Acts just like a standard shift when you let the clutch out too fast. Problem occurs mainly in reverse since it's a lower gear putting more load on the engine. If I ride the gas a little when dropping it into reverse it seems to help but will still die out when I let it get to an idle RPM while in reverse (which made for loads of fun backing my boat up today !).

Tech stuff.....
96 model with a little over 180,000. New fuel pump and filter bowl assembley in Jan. '07. Drained the bowl and changed fuel filter today with no improvements. Cold air intake with a Edge programer running in tow mode.

Need a cheap fix because my boat motor froze up today too. When it rains it pours !!!

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 use to do that when I use to take it in to have the oil changed. I was talking with my mechanic and he says that sometimes it does that when changing the fuel filter and draining it. I stopped taking it to them because every time I took it to them it would die when I put it in drive. It would normally stop after I reved the engine for a while.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 use to do that when I use to take it in to have the oil changed. I was talking with my mechanic and he says that sometimes it does that when changing the fuel filter and draining it. I stopped taking it to them because every time I took it to them it would die when I put it in drive. It would normally stop after I reved the engine for a while.

I may not have been clear in my post, I was rushing to get off to work.

I changed the fuel filter in hopes of fixing it, and it didn't. The problem arose prior to changing any filters or draining the bowl.

How can I tell if it's the TC locking up in reverse and why would it be doing that? Low fluid maybe? Haven't checked it but I know I have a small leak. Will look at the trans fluid level in the morning.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with mike about the TC and also think there could be a brake lite burned out messing with a sensor.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. This is a great resource for trouble shooting. Both oil and trans are low so I'm topping them off in hopes of solving it. Otherwise, based on reading some past posts here, it seems I will need some tranny work. We'll see.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the huge quote from the tranny shop today. On top of the tranny bushings and stuff being wore out and ate up, the computer on the firewall was full of water !! Full of rust and mold so it was probably a miracle that the thing still ran. TC wasn't the problem as suspected in the above posts. But replacing it with a HD one and rebuilding with better pinions and bushings, etc. Probably putting in some trans-go stuff too. Plus a new computer.

Seems to be the season for tranny problems !!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14