E40D limping to shop

wanderer

Reaction score
Good morning. Haven't been on this site in a while, but I have a new built tranny from ATS being delivered either today or tomorrow. I have to get the truck from my house to my buddy's shop which is 45 minutes away. 1st gear is pretty much shot. I've been limping the truck for about 2 weeks waiting for the new tranny. I changed the oil and filter 2 weeks ago, and it is burnt and dirty now. I'm hoping to start off in manual 2 when I approach different stop signs on my journey to the shop. Any suggestions before I attempt being stranded on a road somewhere? I'm trying to avoid calling a wrecker. It will have to be a big one as I gross out close to 11,000 lbs.

1996 F-250 4wd

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Is there a rural approach to your buddies shop? Maybe that way you could get him to tow you with another pickup if your tranny gives up the ghost enroute. As long as you have the engine running you'll have brakes and power steering for the tow at least.

wanderer

Reaction score
Getting out of my driveway will be easy, downhill, made it up to my garage friday afternoon, and it has been sitting there awaiting the trip to the shop. Problem is when I get to the small town north of me. I have 2 stop signs before I hit the interstate by my house, and the first problem is the on ramp if I have to stop for traffic. There are multiple stop lights in the town before his shop. I just hate to call a wrecker, but we'll see. My neighbor says that using manual 2 will bypass 1st gear, but I'm not so sure.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Burnt fluid again in two weeks, and it's chancy. Just take it easy, you may or may not make it...

Good luck

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
wanderer said:
My neighbor says that using manual 2 will bypass 1st gear, but I'm not so sure.

Yes, putting it in 2 will not allow the E4OD to get into 1, no way no how.

wanderer

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be doing the run tomorrow morning. Transmission is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, and my buddies shop has a lot of vehicles running thru it today. He told me that the guy at the transmission shop next door would do the swap for me for 300.00, and it would take approximately 2 hrs.

(I was going to be borrowing their transmission jack anyway, and probably some long extensions, lol)

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch,I thought you may have a pile of tools or a welder.Make sure its full of oil and take a phone.Good Luck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14