E4OD - ATF to synthetic ATF

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
How do you drain out 100% of the old ATF from an E4OD :dunno ? I'm considering changing to Redline synthetic ATF :sweet and don't want to partially drain out the old ATF. In the past just the pan was dropped when the filter and ATF was (partially) changed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
hheynow said:
How do you drain out 100% of the old ATF from an E4OD :dunno ? I'm considering changing to Redline synthetic ATF :sweet and don't want to partially drain out the old ATF. In the past just the pan was dropped when the filter and ATF was (partially) changed.

The 97's (at least mine does) have a drain plug in the torque converter, drain it, blow out the cooler lines, drop the pan, change the filter and what is left won't be enough to matter. You could also do like the SD guys and remove the return line and run the engine at idle until there is no more flow to drain the TC.

Rick "COB" ;)

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
You can also disconnect the return line at the tranny and pump it out. This processes came from a Ford tranny engineer.
Purchase 20 qts of ATF, Mercon only. Do not use Mercon V.

Drain the pan.

Refill with ATF, about 7 qts

Run truck till oil stops flowing. (Pump it out)

Refill with 6 qts ATF, 13 quarts total at this time then run truck till oil stops flowing again.

Put tranny back together then refill with 6 qts of ATF. 19 qts total at this time

20th qt of ATF to top it off full but not overfull.

My method.
I've been told it gets close to all of it changed. I did mine by draining pan, T/C and then pumping last 2 qts from cooler and feel I got as close to 100% as you can get.
Jim

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Id have to agree with the drain the pan, pull the TC plug and blow the cooler method as the one that I use also. I was surprised how much fluid stays in the VB though when I pulled my VB and accumulator off last month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14