E4OD R&R

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Most of you know I am getting ready to do injectors, along with the new squirters I know I need to do some transmission mods. My current plans are for a stronger TC and a transgo shift kit. Heres the question, how big of a job is dropping the E4OD and transfer case? Do they come out as a pair? How deep am I getting myself in here? Advice or warnings are appreciated.

Mike

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Unless you have help and a jack that can support both as a unit, take them out seperately. There should be a gasket between the two. When you get the t-case off, get a REALLY long 1/2" drive extension(or many together) and go at the bell housing bolts from laying behind the tranny. You will be surprised at how easy it is to get to them. To get the tranny out from under the truck, I just jacked up the rear and took it out just forward of the rear tire. This was all on a SD but I think they are both pretty close to the same.

Scott

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
How about installing the Tugger kit? Whats the difficulty level associated with that?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for how easy the tugger kit is to install but from everything I've read transgo gives you pretty good instructions and it's pretty easy.

The tranny R&R is pretty easy. I'll go with pulling the t-case off first also as they are some heavy suckers, besure you drain all the tranny fluid before you start it makes it lighter and minimizes the chance of a huge puddle of tranny fluid :D I've got some 3'& 4' extensions I picked up specifically for removing bellhousing bolts just need a swivel on the end and you're set to go.

Buy, Rent, Borrow or otherwise obtain a good trans jack that has a tilting platform and allows you to bold or attach the transmission firmly to the jack. My local rental place has one that will allow me to buy some extended bolts and use 4 of the pan bolt holes.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Keep the info coming guys, I'm either going to gain confidence with your advice or get scared and make a phone call....lol

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
most of them i yank i do it in two pieces its just too much for one person (or two people even) to have good control of... you might could manage to get it out but reinstalling would be a total PITA... by the time you mess with everything it takes me less time to get them out in two pieces

get a transmisson cradle if you are going to use a floor jack they are much cheaper than messing up your tranny or a ER visit

the tugger kit should be pretty straight forward.... just follow the instructions

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Hey hey, look who the cat drug in.... nice to see you over here!!!

I think if I decide to bite this job off I will definetly rent a tranny jack.

Moremph

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you just need to get a deal like i did, Slightly used tranny for a grand

Oh yeah it is BUILT too

:thumbs

Travis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member