E4OD weaknesses

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I towed while in OD all the time with my 95/E4OD. I had 4:10 gears, 70-75 mph was a breeze and I would usually get 12-13 mpg doing it.

As to the weaknesses of the E4, as has been mentioned already, heat is the killer here. You need to keep this thing south of 225°, I would use tranny temp as a gauge of how hard or fast I could tow as well. If my temp began to creep up I would slow down and let the temps fall a hair. I found this only in extreme summer heat conditions though. Run a good stacked plate low pressure drop cooler such as the Tru-Cool, I wouldnt recommend running it in series with the stock unit. The stock unit makes a great door stop in the shop, put it there.

TC has been mentioned already as well, the stocker should be set next to the stock cooler by the back door of the shop. Good TC's are expensive, rebuilt E4OD's are more expensive. Its a choice you need to make.

Cooler, TC and Tranny temp gauge and regular service (dump fluid/filter every 15K-20K) will significantly extend the life of the E4OD for probably 75% of you guys. However if you are really wanting to throw the HP (more than 350) at an E4 you will need to go further through the tranny than that as more weak spots will end up showing themselves. Thats why a good rebuilt E4 will run you in excess of $4k.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14