Early '99 Exhaust ... Need Help ASAP

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an early '99 we are talking about. The truck currently has nothing from the cat back. Cat is not bored or anything ... but the exhaust just ends there, lol. I have a couple of questions.

1.) Is this hurting performance in any way?

2.) Can some of you PS guru's PLEASE recommend (hopefully link) what I should get to put on from the cat back? I can't handle anything TOO expensive right now, so hopefully I won't be looking at too much.

I want it to sound good and look good. Should I install pipe & aftermarket muffler and bore the cat as well?

StrokerAce7.3

ResidentBadAss
Reaction score
Loose the cat and muffler, have a muffler shop make you a custom 4" straight pipe exhaust. Cost about $200(mine did). the sound is awesome and opens up power. Also look to buy a 4" down pipe.:sweet

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i took the 4" exhaust that my brother used to have on his '99 dodge and used it from the cat. back. i emptied the cat out though. all i had to do to make his exhaust work was cut off some of the mounting brackets and weld them in different places to work with mine. i would agree that you could get an exhaust shop to make you a 4" straight pipe for fairly cheap. i just didn't want to mess with it so i made my own.

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a few shops today. They all refuse to remove the cat. They refuse to bore it as well, lol.

I always thought the NC law says diesels don't need a cat. Who knows. But I just read in the Chilton's manual that 2001 and earlier models do not have cats. If that's the case, why does mine have one?

Looks like I will have to do this myself. I will bore the cat. Can you guys please recommend some pre-cut pipe (to use from cat all the way to tip)? It's standard cab & LB.

EDIT: also, if I bore it today .... will it bee TOO loud to handle for a few days?

Last edited:

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i know that some places make cat-back exhaust systems for the powerstrokes, but why don't you just buy a cat. delete pipe and a muffler delete pipe? the sound won't be too loud to handle, but then again it take an extremely loud noise for me to think it's too loud. i'm not sure where to buy all the exhaust stuff, but you could see if one of the exhaust shops will put a cat-back system on it, then you could get a cat. delete pipe and then your set.

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's just it ... it doesn't currently have a muffler or any piping from the cat on back. Just ends at the cat. And I do not want a muffler. I just want pipe straight from DP to tip. Problem with that is ... no exhaust shops will do that ... and I can't weld.

They would probably install a straight pipe w/o a muffler on it as it sits. Then I could go back and install a cat-delete pipe. BUT ... if they weld all the crap on, then I am screwed there, as I wouldn't be able to get the crap off to install a delete pipe ... and if I did ... I couldn't get it back together w/o welding it.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I would not spend any money on trying to temporairly rig something up. wait until you have enough money and do it right by buying a 4 inch from turbo to tip. the majority of your power gain is going to come from getting rid of that downpipe. I know there are kits that come with a cat delete pipe. And as far as having a cat goes...for some reason all the 99's had them, why i dont know.

Heres a website where you can get an aluminized exhaust for a reasonable price. ShopDiesel : 5 Inch Diesel Exhaust Performance Exhaust Ford Powersroke

I will warn you though...call this place and talk with them and make sure it is a good fit. I made the mistake of buying a kit that was a house brand and ended up having to dump more money into it so that it would look and fit how i wanted it. I think the link i pasted to you should be a good brand, but for a great fit and great quality, go with MBRP.

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
not all 99's had a cat. only the handshakers. As far as the down pipe, IIRC the early 99 had a little bit different DP than the late 99's. Take a sawzall and cut the cat off before going to the muffler shop. Have the shop weld you a 4" straight pipe from that cut to what ever length you decide. The sound will not be much more than what you are currently accustomed to. If you are worried about state inspections you may have to install a straight thru muffler, although in some states a turbo is considered a muffling device.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...although in some states a turbo is considered a muffling device.

I didn't know this! Thanks! I checked Texas law, it says:

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

So, at least in Texas, if you've got a turbo, you don't have to have a muffler...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Before you all go running off and delete the Cats, does your state have any laws about it? You may or will have inspections in the future. Be careful if you rod out the cat.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58