FYI early '99 front hub bearing

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked about this many months ago but nobody had a definitive answer. I was under the gun to get it repaired at that time, so I just went with the Ford hub and forked over the chunk of cash. Had the other side go bad earlier this week and took a gamble on changing it over to a cheaper alternative, so I thought I would post what I've learned.

The brake rotor and hubs are different on an early '99......made 3/21/99 and before (go figure:rant). Being an oddball, the hubs are also about twice the cost of the ones made 3/22/99 and after. The hub on the early ones have a 10mm flange (where the wheel studs are) and the later ones have a 14mm flange......which is the reason for a different rotor. You can convert to the newer (cheaper) hub by also running the newer rotor and save quite a bit of money. I bought a new Timken hub for $158 and a rotor (cheapie) for $45. The older hub was $425 alone.....and that's at shop cost.....retail is over $500.

Unfortunately, I now have a nearly new cross-drilled/slotted rotor that I have no use for:rolleyes:. But I'll buy another set of the newer style when I finally get around to crossing over the other hub. I didn't wanna go as far as buying those now.....incase my gamble didn't pay off. Luckily it worked as anticipated.:sweet

Just thought that info' might help out another member with an early '99. You have no idea how many times I've cursed Ford today.:backoff Oh yeah, not only was there that little change, but apparently Ford also offered 13" and 14" front rotors.:doh:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
here's another tip for ya..
there's a split in '00 as well..

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had to shim the brake caliper to use the newer bearing with the older rotor. - I was in a rest stop at night with a bad bearing 400 miles from home.

Last edited:

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had to shim the brake caliper to use the newer bearing with the older rotor. - I was in a rest stop at night with a bad bearing 400 miles from home.
I had also considered that option.......but was a little concerned about it coming loose over time. But it sounds like that got you home.:)

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all you need to do is buy the hubs and rotors for the same year. They are interchangeable. The hub and rotor must match. I have an early 99 with 01 rotors and hubs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58