EARLY 99 NO START

condon66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I started my early '99 7.3 this morning and drove it one mile to my coffee stop. As I pulled in and came to a stop I noticed a slight drop in RPM's that caught my attention. I looked down at the tach and put it into park and just then the RPM's came up to normal for idle and then an electronic sounding "click" came from right in front of me and the engine shut down suddenly and completely. No stutter or anything just died cleanly.
My first thought was cam sensor as I've had that happen before. So, as I cranked the engine I noticed first that the tach is not moving, BUT, when I turn the key to the on position the "wait to start" light isn't coming on either. All the dummy lights come on but no "water in fuel" or "service engine soon" or "wait to start." So I connect my code reader and it says "no reading."
Something I've noticed recently is when I'm pulling out from a stop it's like the injectors don't really respond to my throttle input. I've noticed just a slight hesitation in the injector noise for just a fraction of a second and then it sounds normal.
What is up here? Control module?? Please help. Thank you.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound Dumb but from what you've described.. I'd check yer Battery connections First. Clean'm up REAL good. Sounds Electrical to me.

This time of year with temp changes.. Crap (calcification) will build up that you cant see, on yer Batt terminals.

A place to start.

:dunno

condon66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was fuse #30. I would say I missed it when checking my fuses due to being pissed and not taking my time. Is there some common occurance that causes this fuse to blow or did the heater element go or what? I still have the heater plugged in and there has been no blown fuse again.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58