Early '99 questions

mygsris2slo4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey! I've been on for a few months now and this is my first post.

So anyway, I just got my gauges installed to keep an eye on everything.
I had a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to using the search function.

First, What is the stock boost pressure? If I put to the floor I will see about 18 lbs. Is this normal or is it time to track down some leaks?

Second, I am planning on dropping the pan and changing the filter in the trans. The question I have is what trans is in the early '99's? e4od or the 4r100? And what fluid should I be using?

Additionally, I want to put in a trans cooler while I'm under there. Any reccomendations? Are the universal ones from the auto parts stores any good? Or should I be looking for one from a 6.0 or a v10.

Thats all I can think of for now. Thanks fellas!

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend putting in a 6.0L trans cooler. Worked wonders for mine when I did it. The prices have come down dramatically in the past year too. Easy install. ;tu

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
First, What is the stock boost pressure? If I put to the floor I will see about 18 lbs. Is this normal or is it time to track down some leaks?
Mine was about 16 to 18 back in the days.:innocent

Second, I am planning on dropping the pan and changing the filter in the trans. The question I have is what trans is in the early '99's? e4od or the 4r100? And what fluid should I be using?
All Superduty's with auto trannys have the 4r100. Mercon is the stuff to use not just in the tranny but in the power steering pump also.

Additionally, I want to put in a trans cooler while I'm under there. Any reccomendations? Are the universal ones from the auto parts stores any good? Or should I be looking for one from a 6.0 or a v10.
The V-8/V-10 tranny coolers are larger than the stock 7.3 tranny coolers even though they have the same tranny.:dunno It was a popular mod until about 2004. That's about when the 6.0 replaced the 7.3. The 6.0 came with an even bigger tranny cooler at which time it became the prefered cooler for aftermarket 7.3 tranny cooler upgrades.

I replaced mine with the gas engined tranny cooler and added an auxillary cooler to that, along with a tranny temp gauge.

Browse through my photo gallery here in the forum or click on the link at the bottom of my sig for my web shots for more pics.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you won't develop much boost if the truck is not working- pulling a trailer, going up a grade, etc.. WOT does not count.

X2 on the 6.0 trans cooler. it bolts right in- no brackets no zip ties. lines go out the bottom instead of the top. here are pics of my install

6.0 Trans Cooler pictures from trucks photos on webshots

though, you might have the early radiator w/o the trans fluid chamber. i would definitely put a bigger 6.0 cooler on. the v10 cooler, is bigger than the 7.3 but not as big as the 6.0 but folks who put them on before the 6.0 had good luck with them too.

EDIT: TG, you are quick! maybe chasing those grandkids is giving you cat like reflexes!

mygsris2slo4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I did a trans service on the truck last night. The fluid that came out was pretty clean and there was very little metal on the magnet (I'm not to sure if the trans was serviced before I bought it).

Next on the list is a 6.0 cooler and the ford severe duty ais and a few small leaks that need to be tracked down. Aside from the routine maintenance I'm very happy with this purchase so far. 7k miles in the last 6 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14