ebpv as exhaust brake

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
So I've been scouring the old posts and the wiki about this one and I came up with a question. Why can't a guy just run a switched power to the gray/red wire at the ebpv connector to turn it on and off at will? I've already disconnected the connector so the jets don't land at my house on warmup, so I don't need it for that purpose anyway. I have the us gear installed on the truck, but right now it's not working. this seems like a really easy way to get extra braking from the engine if it works. Any thoughts? :dunno

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Thanks crumm, I've found the info to do this on the obs but I'm not sure if the procedure is the same for the 2000's or not. I dont need the throttle cut out per say but it would be nice. I just thinking about cutting the gray/red wire and running the power off a switch to turn it on and off, any ideas what this might do to the pcm? would it just think that the connector was still unplugged?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have it hooked up via the PCM, then yes, it won't affect it at all. Are you thinking a totally manual switch, or something else? I've thought it would be cool to hook it up to the IVS, so when you let off the gas, it turns on. I've got a three position switch on mine now....Brake-activated, Stock, and Always On.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Any one ever wire this up on the 2000 body style? Thats something that I hadn't thought of, did I miss the throttle switch included in the install? I would like to know how to wire it up with a switch to turn the whole system on, and use the throttle to engage/disengage the valve. Thanks guys for your input

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the circuits on the throttle pedal assembly is the idle validation switch. On the OBS trucks this was a seperate plug and this two plug setup IIRC continued into some of the early SD Trucks. Then the two plugs were merged but with the same results. You use this wire as a trigger for a relay to energize your EBPV circuit.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a three position switch. One on position will run to a switched 12V source, Like your radio... When you switch to that, it will signal the valve to close (and stay closed until you switch it off). The Off postion will be just off (This is my "stock" mode). The other On you'll run a wire to the IVS. The IVS puts out voltage when you're NOT idling...so you need to figure out a way (relay) to get power opposite of when it's on the IVS. I found this diagram...should do what you need.

EBPV brake relay pictures from cars photos on webshots

Happy J

Concrete Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks crumm, I've found the info to do this on the obs but I'm not sure if the procedure is the same for the 2000's or not. I dont need the throttle cut out per say but it would be nice. I just thinking about cutting the gray/red wire and running the power off a switch to turn it on and off, any ideas what this might do to the pcm? would it just think that the connector was still unplugged?

I did just what you are talking about on my OBS. Ran a wire to it from a switch I fastened to my shifter. Worked ok but it doesn't have all that much braking power and it takes a few seconds for it to engage. Its better then nothing. But on my 2003 7.3 I installed the BD brake. Much better braking power and it is nice that it ties into the pedal but still not the best because they still don't shut off like a semi when engine reaches idle RPM. Just my 2 cents

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Thanks guys, your info is great. I especially liked the info on the relay, thanks bbressler.
I think thats the way I want to go at this point, I just have one more question. Do you really need to have a switch that will turn it on constantly? Do you find the need to turn it on and still give light throttle input? Thanks again everyone, your comments are appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg