EBPV closing at 67 degrees?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I started the truck up yesterday morning with the outdor temperature at 67 degrees and the EBPV closed :confused:

Is it possible a sensor,sample tube or something related to the EBPV is causing it to close,the engine has 31,000 miles if it makes a difference.

I've done little reading up on this,should I disconnect,"gut it",etc.?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In tx you can gut w/ no problem depends on if you plan to use it for an exhaust brake though. Typically it is a problem w/ the tube getting clogged up some people have been able to sucessfully clean them out others have just replaced it since it's not too expensive.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
BJS said:
In tx you can gut w/ no problem depends on if you plan to use it for an exhaust brake though. Typically it is a problem w/ the tube getting clogged up some people have been able to sucessfully clean them out others have just replaced it since it's not too expensive.
Working on the tube is a PITA to get to and remove? The gutting procedure I'm not savvy with just have seen owners with the term in the singiatures ;)

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the intercooler tube it opens it up a bit ... Also remove the downpipe from the EBPV.. it gives you a little more room. not much but a little.

If you lay down a thick blanket or something to make it a little more comfortable it seems to help it not seem as bad.

It was either an 8mm or 10mm head on those bolts... I can't remember for certain. A socket and ratchet will get the majority but you will need a box end wrench for at least two of them... One on the bottom frontside and the other on the bottom backside. Those are the ones that will make you wonder if you should have even thought about it. :D

Once you get the part off the truck you can use a grinder on the rivets that hold the butterfly valve to the shaft. get the head off of them. then tap them out. Then tap the whole shaft out... There is a sleeve that the shaft rides on that I knocked out also because when I put the expansion plug in the sleeve was hanging about 1/4" into port. And, I was worried that it might slip all the way out into the exhaust pipe.

Also make sure you get a steel freeze plug, you'll need a 3/4"... I used a brass/copper one at first because it was all they had at the time... and two weeks later I was pulling it back apart because the plug came up missing. It doesn't seem to like the heat. I have had the Steel one in for a couple months now and have had no problems with it.

Here are a couple of pics I took of things... It took about 2 hrs in all... and that was with me cleaning things up and such.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thank you for the DIY there Dieselmaster :sweet Looks like a 94-97 in the photos :cool:

Is the procedure close to the same for cleaning the tube of the carbons/gunk?

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to edit my signature...

My truck is an early 99... so I would think that it would be close to the same for yours... I know I have a smaller turbo but I thought the EBPV was the same...

I had already removed the intercooler pipe for the pictures..

The 94-97 use a 20mm plug... ours uses a 3/4" or a 23mm... I could not find a 23 anywhere... lots of 22's but they were pretty loose. The 3/4 is very snug.

Here's a picture of my truck... so you don't think I'm pullin your leg :D

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Okay okay I gotchya! ;) I think I recall seeing the photo in the vbgarage but didn't connect the two :rolleyes: :)

I'm gonna try either this weekend ot the following to resolve the problem with the wastegate :sweet

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason I gutted mine was because of temps... My DI 4way chip can get the temps up pretty quick on a higher setting. :D

I noticed the biggest difference when pulling a load. It takes it a lot longer to get to the point where I need to remove my foot from the fuel peddle.

Good luck with it... The hardest part of the whole job is positioning to get to the bolts... The one on the backside that requires a wrench is a bastard... And I am being nice when I say that... Oh and make sure that you have had the truck off for a couple of hours, at least. That turbo can sure hold the heat for a long time... The first time I did mine I let it sit overnight... the second time I jumped into it with only about an hour of set time.... Ouch..

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
What kind of lower EGT's can be acheived with the gut mod?

Without a load it seems like only 50-100°'s
But with a load its more like 100°-200°

And as you approach the top end of the temps it seems to take longer...

I can hit 1100° pretty quick but going from there to 1300° takes much longer. Long slow climbing hills used to really chap my hide. They would get my temps up and then I would be backing out to keep from getting to hot... Now it can stay in it longer if not all the time to maintain the speed I want to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58