EBPV Engine brake

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've heard bad things about it. Sounds like a big risk to me. But I've never ran one and dont know anyone with one.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've heard of floatin a valve and bendin valves? Just heard of it. But....yer truck would be a good canidate for it since you got a manual trans. I dont know if most people buy the kit or just do the DIY mod. Depends on how far you want to dive into it. I know someone on here will chime in on it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHIMMMMe ;)

I have the EBPV re-wired as a Exhaust brake >of Sorts< on my 6 speed. I'v had it on for 'bout 10 years.. I like, and use it alot.

It's more of a "Retarder". It doesn't eliminate brakeing, or work as well as the units installed in the exhaust, or down pipe.. (valve train issues, IMO) it just Helps, a bit, to slow you down by restricting air flow to the Turbo. Works best at rpm's above 2000.

I bought the plug'n play kit off e-bay, but mod'd it a bit by mounting the switch on the floor shift lever, with an LED light on the dash, that is lit when it's on. The kit rewires the Control of the EBPV.. from the PCM... into the drivers hands.

Turned on On, you feel it Holding you Back. Applying the brakes, turns it off as long as your foot is on the pedal. useing throttle, turns it off, working the same way. But using it desending a grade allows you to just "Drift" down a grade.. with much less braking... yet throttle inputs, if needed.

I can still use it for faster warm ups.. which is it's intended use.

I hear it works best on the 6 speed manuals... but works well on the Auto's too.. if you use the gears desending grades ?

It HELP's fer shur.... but is NOT a Engine/Exhaust brake.... as compared ?

Last edited:

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I found this writeup on how to do it. TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com It looks like all it needs is 12 volts to the non-black wire to operate. I think I will just wire it to an on off toggle and not even have it hooked to the pcm. On the semi I drive the engine brake is only a on off toggle switch that turns on the brake when I let off the accelerator petal. So I am used to turning the switch on and off during the complicated 13 speed non synchronized slow down process. I like that Idea beter than having to hold my foot on the brake petal during the slow down process. And when it is cold out I can just start the truck and flip the switch on till it warms up.

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have the EPBV brake program setup on my DP tuner. Really works well when towing the 5er. Only issue is the 2 to 3 second delay when reprogramming, seem to bleed off quite a bit of acquired speed for the next climb. DRAT!!! Can't have it all. With my Auto, on narrow mountain roads need to manually shift to keep RPM's above the 2k.

But I really think everybody needs this mod, either by programming or manual wiring.

Just my 1.5 cents worth

all ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a kit wired to a button on the floor that I put my foot on. I have it installed on a 2003 F350 7.3 and pull a 18000 5er. I have 192000 on the truck and installed it at 10000. It still works for warm up without doing any thing. It is a Lang brake. This is the second truck that I have used it on. My first truck that I used it on was a 98 F250 psd. I ran that one 250000 pulling rv's from the factory. No problem on either truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14