EBPV still connected but leaking oil...

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
UPDATE QUESTION - EBPV still connected but leaking oil...

while under the hood today I saw a puff of smoke by my downpipe which always makes my butt pucker -mad . Upon closer inspection the underside of the spot where the butterfly valve is located is oily. I have never done anything to my EBPV other than disconnecting the wire connector last fall and reconnecting it once spring set in. I have no idea when the oil leak started.

Any thoughts on this wonderful little development? I hope I can simply gut the valve and plug the actuator (need to find the plugging instructions) to fix it but was wondering if anyone has experienced an oil leak there without ever having made any modfications? :confused:

Last edited:

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
That rod that connects to the EBV lever has a "piston" inside the turbo pedestal, some of the oil pumped to the turbo is diverted thru a small orifice into that cylinder. When the solenoid is at rest (EBV not active) that oil is allowed to flow thru the solenoid and back into the crankcase. The orifice is so small that there is very little pressure lost. When the EBV is activated by the PCM the solenoid closes and then the pressure builds and it pushes the piston against a spring and extends the rod which closes the EBV butterfly.

I have removed the piston and plugged the hole on trucks that have an exhaust brake, so they aren't using the system anyway. I have always had the pedestal off the engine to do it. Remove the circlip from the cap on the opposite side of the pedestal from the rod. Unscrew the end of the rod and locknut where it attaches to the EBV lever and tap it out thru the cap hole. The existing hole can be tapped to 1/4 pipe and then use a standard pipe plug, reuse the cap and circlip (clean it well with brake clean and apply silicone sealer). There is the same oil pressure loss as before, an insignificant amount, but if you really are worried the orifice is visible inside the cylinder and you could devise some way to plug it. You would then need to either remove the EBV butterfly and plug the shaft hole or wire it open.

You can also get a kit to replace the piston from either Ford or International if you want to keep the system.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
It's probably the seal around the shaft coming out of the pedestal. I could see daylight between the seal and shaft after I got mine apart. See my wiki article on how to gut it, or buy a new seal. :sorry

EBPV WIKI It's on a superduty but should be the same.

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
It's probably the seal around the shaft coming out of the pedestal. I could see daylight between the seal and shaft after I got mine apart. See my wiki article on how to gut it, or buy a new seal. :sorry

EBPV WIKI It's on a superduty but should be the same.

one thing i see in your wiki article that isnt necessary is you dont need to cut the rod of the piston and reinstall the piston.but its the same deal for the OBS trucks

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
WOW! Great article!

There is no seal on the rod where it sticks out of the pedestal, it is normal to see space all the way around it. There is actually a drain back to the crankcase just inside the hole that is supposed to handle any minor leakage past the piston. And since the oil pressure is restricted by the orifice, which is before the piston, the piston does not need to be there.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Thanks, I just erred on the safe side. I had read concerns that without the piston installed there might (bug that lives on a chickens arse) be some oiling problems to the turbo bearings. I don't know one way or another, so I just cut the shaft, reinstalled, and plugged the harness back in.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
because of my climate I dont need the "warmup assistance". I guess I will just gut it and plug it all up. The oil loss is minimal so it will be another month I guess before I will do this.

Thanks for the directions. I guess I have a new learning opportunity!

Good article Bryan; I just read it and understand it pretty well. Thanks.

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any difference in warmups. There are plenty of guys up north running this setup also. I think the F450+'s dont even come with them.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
my ebpv was unplugged last year when i put the first engine in it.then at some point i gutted the ebpv.i ran it all winter long with no warmup issues.and with the new motor i just put in i gutted the pedistal but i also cut it up and had all the oil holes welded shut except for the ones to the turbo itself

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Follow up - I plugged the EBPV back in a couple of months ago. Last week when I saw this was oily and "leaking" I cleaned all off. Now, almost 10 days after degreasing it is still clean.

Could unplugging just the power line cause a leak that would then correct itself upon plugging back in? I may not gut it if it is not leaking!

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58