Edge Platinum VS. SCT

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This should be my last update on the Evo, since I now have it figured out........

I now have the settings where I want them and have driven it this way for a few days, giving it a chance to change if it was going to...... All I can say now is :sweet I am now all:D Just for kicks, I bumped my Juice up to the 100hp mode last night, to see how it was with that setting and still had outstanding shifting......

I had a neighbor (and fellow club member) with me last night and he was commenting on how much better my truck shifted than his does. (His is bone stock).

I now officially give the Evo :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

:cowboy:

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
teamroper60 said:
4) Do not tow over the GVWR/GCWR.

Which GCWR would that be?

The 20K GCWR for my 2004 F350,
the 26K GCWR for the 2005 and up Tow Boss,
or
the 33K GCWR for the 2005 and up F550.

Same engine and trans correct? Just different rear end gearing, brakes, suspension, and frame.

So which GCWR is the TS rated? The way I see it anything under 33K I'm good. Not picking on you, just showing that the TS is rated for WAY more GCWR than you and I are rated.

(Before you point to possible tranny upgrades by Ford... The 2004 F550 was rated at a Max GCWR 30K)

Last edited:

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tom,

The difference is in such things as gearing..... The Tow Boss package for instance, has 4.30 gears, vs the 4.10's that my dually has. I believe the 450 and 550 also have lower gears than your 250 or my 350. Obviously, different gear ratios will cause the engines/trannies to run at different rpms and different levels of "stress" to both get a load moving and keep it moving. To go a little further with that, this tranny guy also told me that running tires with a larger diameter (oversized tires) and lifts will kill the tranny faster than anything else. He says the bigger tires with their increased weight and essentially higher gear ratio, increase the "stress" exponentially. Since changing the tire diameter clearly is changing the effective ratio of the rearends to something higer, it is not much of a stretch to see that putting a lower gear ratio in the Tow Boss package would be a help with the heavier loads it is rated for.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok skip the Tow Boss and go to the 2005 and 2006 F350 with a 3.73 or a 4.10.

The 3.73 rear end is now rated for 23,000 and the 4.10 is rated for 23,500.

The thing is the new tires on the 05 - 06 F350 are 33" where my tires are ~31.5".

So I still question what your transmission guy is saying. I hope you understand where I am coming from. What is you trans guy basing this opinion off of? Larger tires same gearing and same transmission yet it now has a higher GCWR? Something isn't adding up. Ask him why?

Tom

nummit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought I read the rear end in the 05-up F350's has 37 spline axles, and the rear in the F250 is the same 35 spline as the older trucks.
It's not just different tires and bigger rear blocks anymore.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the ratio is still the same so the strain on the trans should be the same right???

Tom

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tom,

I understand where you are coming from and honestly wish I had all the answers for you, but I don't. All I know is what he told me and when I got that info from him, the 05's were brand new, so I don't know what his opinion is of the new weight ratings for the 05-06 trucks. Perhaps he would feel differently about adding that much hp and towing heavy with the last two model years, I honestly don't know. The next time I talk to him, I will ask him though and see what he has to say........ I will say this, the man is one of the most highly regarded tranny men in the business and is known nationwide. People come from all over the country to get trannies from him. I trust him to know what he is talking about and since what I know about a tranny is pretty basic, I am going to listen to his advice. After all, it is his business to know what kind of stress levels a tranny can live under.:cowboy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58