Education

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks as though my tuition is due again. every time it breaks it costs money and time, but its fun and i'm learning. Driving down the road tonight started to smell diesel and the fuel gauge was going quickly to empty. Stopped and took a look and fuel is PUMPING, I mean PUMPING from under the fuel bowl. I cant quite see whats under there yet and its dark out so tomorrow........ What could it possibly be a clamp maybe? The fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago. Anyone have this experience?

Thanks.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be anything from the seals on the fuel bowl (there are a few!), the hoses to the pump and tanks, the fuel pump (from the sounds of your leak they usually don't leak that bad), or even the fuel bowl itself (the bottom of the bowl can rot out). Cheers!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It could be anything from the seals on the fuel bowl (there are a few!), the hoses to the pump and tanks, the fuel pump (from the sounds of your leak they usually don't leak that bad), or even the fuel bowl itself (the bottom of the bowl can rot out). Cheers!

oh JOY :coffee

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bowl rotted out. I have a new assembly are there any tips or tricks to changing it out? like how to get to the clamp on the bottom. This looks like fun.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing it is fairly straightforward. The bottom hose clamp can sometime be rotated around to allow it to be loosened if for some reason you can't get a screwdriver on it. There are two bolts at the base that hold the bowl to the block. I would replace the fuel lines while you are there so you could just cut the lines to get the bowl out. While you have it disconnected, make sure that your fuel bowl wiring harness is in good shape (leaking diesel can make the wiring insulation turn to goo) and don't forget to replug in the IPR!. Cheers!

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is back together no leaks, Thanks for the tips. didnt replace the fuel lines they were fairly new. had the fuel pump changed and i think they pulled the canister then cause the lines were fairly new. and all the wiring looked great. But what a hole in the bottom of that filter assembly!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you drain the new filter assembly to keep this from happening to the new one.

I like to drain mine while the engine is running (mechanical pump is moving fuel) so the agitation of the fuel flow & engine vibrations help to clean out the gunk.

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never thought about draining it while it was running, guess that would get the gunk out but i thought diesel was lighter than the water, and the idea was to get the water out which should be on the bottom? am i wrong?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14