Question EGR Cooler Upgrade or Delete?

hollisda

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It appears as if I have lost the EGR cooler on my ’06 6.0L PSD. The truck started blowing white smoke occasionally; usually after idling or during in-town driving. On the highway, nothing. Then it began blowing tons of white smoke anytime the ambient temperature was below 20 degrees, regardless of driving conditions or engine temperature. During that period, at greater than 20 degrees, nothing. Then it began intermittently pouring white smoke regardless of the ambient temperature. The strange thing is that it is all or nothing; it is either pours tons of smoke or nothing. The truck is loosing (but not leaking) a small amount of coolant but there is no oil in the coolant and there has been no high temp problems so I’m thinking EGR cooler rather than head gaskets. (Sound right?)

Trying to decide whether to go with a complete delete kit such as the Liberator Performance or an upgrade replacement, such as the one offered by BulletProofDiesel. Advantages or disadvantages of replacement versus delete? Any opinions or experiences with either of these products?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
delete it.. but buy a kit that can be put back to stock if need be... there is a couple good ones on ebay that will sell for under 300 just make sure it is either from the mkm customs guy or the guy from illinois (River City Diesel is who that is)... it is a direct bolt on kit.. you don't have to take off the intake... but you'll need an SCT to delete the code it will throw.... if you don't have an SCT already then you need one lol.... but deleting it is way better than 2100 at ford....

hollisda

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay, snatched the intake today; lots of black slime in it. I’m assuming that the black is just soot from the EGR exhaust and the wet slime is due to the leaking cooler. The cooler on the outlet end did not unusual but the inlet end that attaches to the up-tube was wet on the bottom 20%.

Will go with the delete rather than the upgrade. Any recommendations on manufacturer would be appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The oil in the tube is from the Crank Case. The vapors are sucked into the intake tract and burned by the engine. They will leave a oily slim in the tubes. If it gets excessive you can clean the tubes with Simple Green and let them dry. I would not worry about it.

Dave:)

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
The oil in the tube is from the Crank Case. The vapors are sucked into the intake tract and burned by the engine. They will leave a oily slim in the tubes. If it gets excessive you can clean the tubes with Simple Green and let them dry. I would not worry about it.

Dave:)

what he said as far as that goes....

and for the delete.. if you want something permant then you will spend some coin but get you the "best" delete possible... innovative sells a good kit along with some others... FDCP out of florida sells a good kit.... but im going to be purchasing one from either RCD or the MKM Customs guy on ebay for about 250-300 because it is direct bolt on and i can change it back to stock if I need to sometime down the road... but it probably isn't a perfect fix like the permant deletes because it uses o-rings and gaskets to seal instead of welds... but i don't see it being anything to worry about and for 250 i can buy 2 or 3 of them before i equal what i would pay for the whole kit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58