EGR delete time?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
A problem cropped up last Thanksgiving on a trip to Texas. The truck started running like it was pulling an anchor, when I was only pulling my fiver. I checked everything out in Houston, found I was low on coolant. Filled up the degas bottle, all was well to San Antonio and back to Florida. I was at 97,000 miles then.

I had the coolant replaced at 100,000 miles.

I'm now approaching 103,000 miles. I pulled the fiver to the RV shop for a new awning install. On the way back home, I thought I smelled hot coolant, so I stopped, opened up the hood and found the degas bottle was dry again. Filled up the degas bottle and the smell went away. I haven't noticed any white smoke at all.

I'm installing the coolant filter I ordered from DieselSite tomorrow. Anything I should be looking for while I'm under the hood? If the EGR is going south, should I replace it with a BulletProof Diesel unit or delete it and add a tuner? Does anyone know of a good shop within 250 miles of Pensacola that does good work? While my dealership is listed as a BulletProof distributor (surprised me too!) I don't want to take out a second mortgage to pay for the install if you catch my drift.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... opened up the hood and found the degas bottle was dry again. Filled up the degas bottle and the smell went away. I haven't noticed any white smoke at all.

If the EGR is going south, should I replace it with a BulletProof Diesel unit or delete it and add a tuner?

Hey Richard, I'll hook on to this thread to see the answers. I'm experiencing some of the same things.

robinson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem and what is happing is the exaust is boiling the coolant out. You can blind EGR cooler off or just unplug the valve it will auto close that is what i did and the gas will not heat up the cooler and boil the coolant out if it leaks coolant into the exaust side it will blow the head gaskets or motor. taking the gas out of the turbo will increase MPG.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allow me to make this a bit easier to understand. The exhaust gases MAY be flash boiling the coolant. The best way to prevent this is to remove the EGR up-pipe and weld the "T" shut. This prevents the hot exhaust from entering the EGR cooler and causing the flash boiling. Now you may find that an CEL or soft code will occur. You will need a tuner to prevent the CEL or code.

You can do the work yourself or pay whatever you can afford. If you want to do the full delete kit it's more work, more parts, and more costs overall. The tuner is optional but HIGHLY recommended.

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was looking at a EGR delete for mine. I was having a problem wrapping my head around the whole procedure until I took my ipod touch under the hood and fired up the WIFI vidieos. Delete here I come.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58