Question egr / pollution equipment removal

commtrd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have found a real clean 2006 F250 with a 6 litre and have some questions about the EGR system and possible removal. Is it easily detectable that the EGR valve and cooler has been removed? This seems to be a part of the engine that contributes to a lot of trouble for questionable benefits as far as cleaner exhaust. Does this depend somewhat on what state of residence as far as how stringent they are with emissions testing? I have talked with a couple of guys who have had problems with blown head gaskets...is that something that occurs mainly due to aftermarket fueling boxes that also run the boost higher than normal? Or is that something that just happens? Appreciate any and all feedback on the 6 litre engine and what to expect if I get this truck.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
In General the EGR can be removed with an EGR Removal kit that is available from several sources. It is illegal in all states to remove the EGR (Federal Emissions Laws). Currently there are a few states that inspect Diesel Trucks. California is one of them. It is your truck and your choice and you get to reap/suffer the benefits/consequences. Changing the EGR Cooler is one way to benefit your motor and Head Gaskets. The after market kits are good, I hear. Several guys here have them.

Head Gaskets can blow with a totally stock truck, but not very often. Tuners and chips that add more power are the main causes of blown Head Gaskets. None of them are safe, but they are fun. I have a 6.0 with about 135,000 and I do not treat my truck with white gloves. I use it, but I don't abuse it. I have never had any problems with the Head gaskets. Good Luck with your new purchase!

Dave :)

Gumby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You can get away with a EGR delete as long as you don't get emissions testing. I would leave the EGR valve intact because that is a obvious thing that would thrown a red flag. If you want to be real sneaky look at this>BPD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58