EGR replacement

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
If the EGR needs to be replaced, how big a job is it? Do the EGR's on 2008 Super Duty Diesels get replaced often or can they be simply cleaned and reinstalled?

David
2008 F350 6.4
140,200 miles.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its right on top of the motor with so its easy to get at, since your out of the 100k warranty per your sig, try taking it off and cleaning it before replacing, I think its a few hundred bucks for the egr valve which is also on national backorder from Ford. I just had mine replaced under warranty otherwise I would have done it myself.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have to ask a question related to this topic because I am still learning. I just had my truck serviced last week. We talked about the EGR valve, and with all the reading I have done here, I want to do this myself as well. The service tech told me that just cleaning the valve itself will not do much because it does not do anything for the internals, requiring a 400.00 service and flush? Is this true? The o-ring kit is cheap and the cleaning is easy, but is there more that needs to be done? Once my warranty expires, I plan to chip it and eliminate the valve saving me future head aches, I hope. Sorry bro, didnt mean to jack your thread, just thought it was related.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There 400 dollar cleaning is putting the housing in diesel fuel for a good soaking and a tube cleaning brush to break thing up. Blow dry reinstall.

EGR, ez clean, sometime a bugger to get out. But I dont have this problem anymore I had it deleted.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 400 dollar service they are refering to is when they hook the truck up to a machine and push a cleaner through the egr passages and intake/turbo and push all the crude out the tailpipe. I had it done on mine, the Ford tech said its recomended about every 40K miles but i think u could go longer unless the truck idles for extended periods of time on end.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 400 dollar service they are refering to is when they hook the truck up to a machine and push a cleaner through the egr passages and intake/turbo and push all the crude out the tailpipe. I had it done on mine, the Ford tech said its recomended about every 40K miles but i think u could go longer unless the truck idles for extended periods of time on end.

Yes, this is the procedure I was talking about. Does it do any good to clean the EGR valve and not do this procedure?

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok-- THANKS. I'm bringing in the truck for a check-up. My check engine light came on last week and stays on. I disconnected the batteries and waited a few minutes. Hooked them back on and restarted. Check engine light still on.

Initially when the light came on, the truck was running ok, but would not accelerate well and seemed to not want to go in overdrive for a while. Also, it would not go into cruise control; after I restarted it seemed to run perfectly fine, and cruise worked. But check engine light stays on.

A couple days later, the truck did the same thing. But I stopped the engine and restarted. Problem went away.

Hope it is something simple like EGR.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh-- and can someone get me started by describing exactlywhere the EGR is?? IS it fairly small?

Sounds like it may do what a PCV valve does on a gasoline engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14