EGT and Oil temps

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Over the last 2 days I have been driving down to Texas with my jeep on the trailer behind my 7.3. I have some questions about high temps. What is the safe high range of the EGT before it starts roasting the turbo. My bullydog tuner has the option of setting a defueling number It was set at 1250deg and was bouncing off that all afternoon after I hit the monster headwind going across the panhandle on 40. Also oil temp, what is a safe high temp for the oil. I know you have to not let ATF get above 230 or it will scorch, is it the same for engine oil? My max oil temp today was 215 but the water temp never got mid way up the scale on the stock gauge.
It was a crazy headwind like 30 soild with 40mph gusts.
So to sum it up what is a good max temp EGT set point for a 7.3
And what is a good max for the oil temp on the 7.3
GOPR0738.jpg

GOPR0736.jpg

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
900 degrees EGT, sustained.. or 200 degrees EOT is where I always start thinking about down shifting. 5th gear usually does it, keep the RPM's between 2200 & 2450..... or Slow down to what the loaded Big Trucks are doing (or a little better).... Geared accordingly.

:dunno

Last edited:

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
What is eot? I cant pull a hill empty with no wind and keep it below 900. I have mine mounted before the turbo

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is eot? EOT= Engine Oil Temp.

I cant pull a hill empty with no wind and keep it below 900. I have mine mounted before the turbo

900*, or better.. LOADED/TOWING is simply where .. start paying attention to EGT's. Depending on road, (wind) and overall travel conditions. 900* empty is no big deal.. IMO.

I throw those numbers out-there, simply as a reference, and a Heads-up place, I use.

Your Temps may vary ? ;):)

(When you get a bigger exhaust system on.. that will help)

Last edited:

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Yea next year when I do 4in stacks. Eod should have figured that out. I think the intake helps. Thanks guys

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
If I hammer my 7.3 I can get the temps to around 800 to 900 or a lil more. Thats unloaded. If Im loaded with my trailer I can hit 900 no prob. Im usin the probe my autometers came with. Dont know if that makes a diff?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58