EGT Install/help please

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here to the site, think it's great so far. I have a question about my truck. It's a 99 f-350 and I bought some new gauges to put in it. I have a banks intercooler and banks recommends putting the egt probe on the turbine outlet side intercooler piping. Does that make any sense? I didn't think there would be that accurate of a reading there, I was under the assumption that an egt probe should be placed in the downpipe or in one of the exhaust manifolds. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance guys.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my egt probe in the top of the downpipe rather than in one of the manifolds. I prefer it there it is lot easier to install rather than in one of the manifolds. Putting the egt probe in the intercooler pipe does not make a wholelot of sense to me.

Last edited:

Bushwakd

Reaction score
You would want the egt probe pre turbo to measure the exhaust gas temperature. Mine is tapped and mounted in the drivers side exhaust manifold. As the exhaust gas is at its hottest temperature and exits the engine through the exhaust manifold you will then get a reading of how hot the egt is. If mounted post turbo your egt reading will in a sense be a reading of the egt after it exits the engine and has traveled through the exhaust manifold and then through the turbo and into the turbo downpipe (a bit of a delayed reading) from the travel it took. A reading of 1200*-1250* is the highest safe level for extended periods. Higher than 1250* for long extended periods and you will run the risk of a meltdown of certain internal parts.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ditto above, tap the drivers side exhaust manifold. Cast is super easy to drill and tap.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had more time when I installed my guages my probe would be in one of the manifolds.

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, after I had posted the question last night I got to thinking.... banks provides a 1/4" npt hole in their down pipe/monster exhaust, so that's why they had suggested putting the gt probe there. Duh.... I was mis-reading the literature that they sent with my intercooler, sometimes I swear...
Anyway, since I have a 4" silverline ss exhaust on my dually I obviously don't have that same bung because ansa doesn't provide one with their kits. So today I drilled and tapped the downpipe for my guage and it works like a champ, I know it'd be a more accurate reading in one of the manifolds, but really, I am pressed for time running back and forth to work and getting my two kids. Sometime in the future I'll take a manifold off and do it that way. :thanks

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
banks actually recommends either or, but make sure you add the appropriate amount of degrees if its after turbo vs. pre-turbo.

my big hoss bundle stated to put the probe in the exhaust manifold.

here is some quoted info from the banks web site.

A pyrometer is a temperature gauge designed to measure high temperatures above those measurable with an ordinary thermometer. It consists of a temperature-sensing probe (thermocouple) that is placed in the area, or flow, to be measured. The probe is connected to a gauge, which is located a safe distance away from the high temperature source. On a diesel, this means the pyrometer sensing probe is mounted in the exhaust manifold or immediately after the turbine outlet of the turbocharger, and the gauge is mounted in the driver’s compartment. The purpose is to measure and display EGT in degrees Fahrenheit (F.). Where the probe is positioned before the turbine section of the turbocharger, the EGT may also be called the turbine inlet temperature. As you would expect, EGT measured after the turbo is called turbine outlet temperature.
We might mention that some mechanics fear installing the pyrometer thermocouple in the exhaust manifold for fear the probe will break or burn off and blow into the turbocharger. Such a piece of foreign material entering the turbine would cause serious damage that could in turn break the compressor wheel of the turbo, sending broken pieces into the intake system of the engine where even more damage could occur. While the above scenario is scary, it is also unlikely. Today’s quality pyrometers feature thermocouples that are sheathed in stainless steel to prevent just such an occurrence. It is exceedingly rare to find a diesel mechanic that can honestly say he’s ever seen a thermocouple that has failed and fallen into the turbo on a diesel pickup or motorhome. It just doesn’t happen with a good pyrometer.

Whether the pyrometer thermocouple is mounted before or after the turbine is usually a matter of finding a suitable mounting location, or of convenience. It should be noted that when the EGT is measured after the turbine, the turbine outlet temperature at full throttle or under a heavy load typically would be 200º to 300º F. lower than the EGT measured in the exhaust manifold. The temperature drop after the turbo indicates the amount of heat energy in the total exhaust gas flow that was used to drive the turbocharger. The temperature drop through the turbine is also related to the total flow and speed of the flow through the turbo. At part throttle, under light load, such as cruise conditions, the turbine outlet EGT may be as much as 500º F. lower than the turbine inlet temperature, but the total exhaust flow is much less than at full throttle. At high turbine speeds (under heavy load) the exhaust gases simply don’t have time to give up as much heat energy as they speed through the turbine. This variance is why installation of the thermocouple in the exhaust manifold is considered more accurate. The EGTs discussed in the remainder of this article will all be turbine inlet temperatures.

At Banks, we recommend the installation of a quality pyrometer on any turbo-diesel vehicle.

silverdragon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also good idea to install post turbo incase sensor busts for some reason it will go into exhaust pipe not turbo.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, after I had posted the question last night I got to thinking.... banks provides a 1/4" npt hole in their down pipe/monster exhaust, so that's why they had suggested putting the gt probe there. Duh.... I was mis-reading the literature that they sent with my intercooler, sometimes I swear...
Anyway, since I have a 4" silverline ss exhaust on my dually I obviously don't have that same bung because ansa doesn't provide one with their kits. So today I drilled and tapped the downpipe for my guage and it works like a champ, I know it'd be a more accurate reading in one of the manifolds, but really, I am pressed for time running back and forth to work and getting my two kids. Sometime in the future I'll take a manifold off and do it that way. :thanks

you dont have to take the manifold off to do it, easiest way is to just leave the truck running whenb you drill and tap, the exhaust pushes the shavings right out, nice and simple.:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14