EGT sensor location

MattM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Am planning to install my EGT sensor in the exhaust but have read about several locations for mounting. Some off the top of the manifold, some off the lower exhaust flange under the truck...does either location really matter?

The one picture I saw was under the truck at the bend...are they stating in the bend the sensor should be drilled or right after the bend?

Thanks

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im not sure what bend you speak of, but there is one major thing to keep in ind when installing the probe. PRE-TURBO, OR POST-TURBO....pre-turbo is very accurate, however you need to drill and tap the manifold, and often the aftermarket turbo down pipes have a bung welded in at the turbo outlet, ready for you to just screw in your probe. if you mount it at the turbo outlet, its not quite as accurate, and instead of the 1200* "redline" you want to stay below 900* because the gasses have had time to cool off, as well as depressurize with also lowers the temps.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pre turbo is the only location worth a damn, otherwise you just as well not run one.

First pic is drill and clamp, second is drill and tap.

MattM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep, drill and tap picture is where I stuck it. Thanks!

My EGT's don't seem to get over 650 running down the road at 70 mph. No trailer. Walker muffler installed and Tymar intake.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, drill and tap picture is where I stuck it. Thanks!

My EGT's don't seem to get over 650 running down the road at 70 mph. No trailer. Walker muffler installed and Tymar intake.

What is the outside air temp in your neck of the woods? Run it hard up some hills and you should see it rise to 1200*.

Purely for diagnostic purposes of course...

MattM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
75 degree's outside. Will see what they do when I pull my (light) trailer. Is the danger threshold somewhere around 1250 degree's for EGT's?

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IH (the people that make the motor in your truck) say 1250 all day is fine. Only thing that will hurt is your Pocket book due to MPG...

Short runs to 1400-1600 are fine to pass and such, its all in your comfort factor after 1250.

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Any opinion on what bank is better to use? Or gets hotter?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14