egt???

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
i just got my gauges in yesterday and so now that I can monitor my egt, is keeping it under 900 what we should be looking for on a 6.0? cause it wasn't clear from the earlier post.

P.S.-These ISSPRO gauges are sweet looking and even better when the its dark and the lights are on.

Does your tuner have an option that allows you to set a de-fuel temperature?

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does your tuner have an option that allows you to set a de-fuel temperature?

No option like that for my tuner...I should be able to watch that myself now right?

As long as I keep my eye on it when its under a load or I am driving it hard I should be good right?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
i think its funny...the guys who are worried about a pyro probe break are the same ones that run sand/dirt passing "performance" air filters

Care to elaborate on that, Bush? I don't see too many people on this board trashing the stock Donaldson. Why would you trash ALL the aftermarket filters? When I clean and oil mine, I always look into the intake tube, and have never seen dirt or dust. Even with the zoodad and nothing more than simple screen covering the snout. Yet if the stock system isn't put together perfectly you can let alot of debris in. Not looking for an argument, but alot of us have gotten past the "Stock is best" thing and have had good results.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
No option like that for my tuner...I should be able to watch that myself now right?

As long as I keep my eye on it when its under a load or I am driving it hard I should be good right?

Yes, you'll be good to go. Just saying, some tuners will have a temp setting either adjustable or not in case your not paying attention. Gauges are the way to go before you start making real power so you always know whats going on.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got my gauges in yesterday and so now that I can monitor my egt, is keeping it under 900 what we should be looking for on a 6.0? cause it wasn't clear from the earlier post.

P.S.-These ISSPRO gauges are sweet looking and even better when the its dark and the lights are on.

depends on where youre monitoring point is....

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on that, Bush? I don't see too many people on this board trashing the stock Donaldson. Why would you trash ALL the aftermarket filters? When I clean and oil mine, I always look into the intake tube, and have never seen dirt or dust. Even with the zoodad and nothing more than simple screen covering the snout. Yet if the stock system isn't put together perfectly you can let alot of debris in. Not looking for an argument, but alot of us have gotten past the "Stock is best" thing and have had good results.

well in GENERAL im talking about the "gauze" type element based....
but basically ANY filter that lets more AIR IN, will have to let more DIRT in...

care needs to be taken no matter WHAT you use...but w/ the donaldson
filter supporting 500+ hp i see no reason to replace it....the stock filter
is far from being a choke point on these motors.

even K&N tells you their filter performs "BETTER" once its dirty...which
begs the question...wheres the initial dirt GO...until enough dirt is
built up for the filter to "FILTER" !?!

my point is...STILL....folks are more worried about a pyro probe breaking
than they are about using a good air filter or getting the seal correct on the
factory filter...the air filter makers convienently forget to tell folks about
the damage that can be done to the turbocharger compressor fins !

Last edited:

Michael

Gauge Guy
Reaction score
Just to clarify on the thermocouple probe failures. Are the failed ones you are seeing the fully encased style (where you can't see the welded thermocouple junction), or the type with the welded wire junction "dangling" in the open? Since ISSPRO changed to the encased style (at least 20 years ago) we have not had a single reported failure where a probe broke off. I can definitely see it with the old style probes, but not with the modern ones.

Most gauge companies offer a high temp version with a shroud made of Inconel, which has a working temperature up to 2000° F. If you exceed 2000°F for a sustained period of time, you have much more to worry about than a thermocouple probe!

The variation between pre- and post-turbo thermocouples can range from 50°F to over 500°F, depending on driving conditions.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58