Elctronic/electric activated cooling fan

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Does anybody know how or have an idea that can make the clutch engage on the 6.0 engine cooling fan. To have it run while doing some slow speed trailer movement, like backing into a spot and such. If i engage the seic and it runs up to 1200 rpm it will engage every so often. but you cant drive that way.

Thanks
Robert

oh yeah i put on my new superduty decal and on the way to work i got another mpg gain

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to do what you want, but I can offer some cheap advice. Don't screw with the clutch fan, as it may cause your truck not to start. The fan needs to be in proper working order (electrically) for the PCM to allow the injectors to fire. Messing too much with this may cause a no start.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Daveben
Thanks
Sounds like good advice, I know through the SEIC that the PCM has quite a few logic/safety to check before it will let it run up to 1200.
I may end up getting a huge fan to run when i am backing up loaded.

DaveBen said:
I don't know how to do what you want, but I can offer some cheap advice. Don't screw with the clutch fan, as it may cause your truck not to start. The fan needs to be in proper working order (electrically) for the PCM to allow the injectors to fire. Messing too much with this may cause a no start.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far are you backing up loaded that the fan isn't providing enough cooling?

I'd venture to guess that you're worried about cooling of the trans rather than the engine? in which case either an aux trans cooler or you can pick up a smaller fan from the parts stores and wire it such that either you have a switch or have it come on automatically when the truck is in reverse by triggering a relay.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I am mainly concerned with tranny temps. slow, spped tqy backing up , in my 02 i could easily hit 260 quick in just a few backing up and straigthening out .

I did notice that the 06 has some huge tranny cooler lines compared to teh 3/8 on the other truck.

BJS said:
How far are you backing up loaded that the fan isn't providing enough cooling?

I'd venture to guess that you're worried about cooling of the trans rather than the engine? in which case either an aux trans cooler or you can pick up a smaller fan from the parts stores and wire it such that either you have a switch or have it come on automatically when the truck is in reverse by triggering a relay.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
I am mainly concerned with tranny temps. slow, spped tqy backing up , in my 02 i could easily hit 260 quick in just a few backing up and straigthening out .

I did notice that the 06 has some huge tranny cooler lines compared to teh 3/8 on the other truck.

I would also consider getting the largest electric fan you can fit and use reverse to trigger a relay to start it. Nice call BJS

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang you're getting it toasty rather quickly even w/o upgraded cooling on mine w/ 12k behind me i could back up the rather long crooked driveway in my '95 w/o over heating though I do prefer to throw it in low range which helps to keep it a bit cooler. i was only getting up to about 210-220max which is hotter than I like but a far cry from your 260

I'm going to hit mine w/ a 40k GVW tru cool w/ a temp regulator so it'll allow it to warm up in the winter. I'm hoping that'll take care of the temps on mine

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is starting to sound like a water pump needs replacing. You should not be running that hot.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave we're discussing trans temps not water temp. My needle moves but only minimally no matter what I'm doing.

If it were engine coolant temps then waterpump or thermostat would be places to start but these trannys get scorching hot easily, especially when you're doing things w/ the t/c unlocked, and backing has to be the worst.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
All
When i towed with my 92 4x4 i would lock it in 4low and never ever had any temp concerns. higher engine rpms drew in plenty of air to keep things cool.
My 02 would jump up quick. even on dry pavement backing up slowly like from the street into a 90 degree turn in the driveway.
a few quick stops in nuetral and it would cool right down.
the final straw to trade her was climbing a grade with the 13.8k fiver in tow
90-95 F with right at 80% humidity outside plus or minus a few, we started at 612 feet above sea level, climbed an additional 600-610 feet in a mile and 1/8.
we started at 65mph , ended up at 20-25 second gear, egts 1300 +/- tranny at 250-260, water at the "A" in normal, boost at 25-27.
IT WAS ugly, then we climbed another 100 feet over a longer 2 mile stretch to the rv park, finally got her back up to 50mph being very gentle. Took over 30 minutes at idle to cool her down. scared me to death. especially when i felt the tq converter start chirp chirp chirping right before it dis-engaged.
so now we have a new truck
BJS said:
Dang you're getting it toasty rather quickly even w/o upgraded cooling on mine w/ 12k behind me i could back up the rather long crooked driveway in my '95 w/o over heating though I do prefer to throw it in low range which helps to keep it a bit cooler. i was only getting up to about 210-220max which is hotter than I like but a far cry from your 260

I'm going to hit mine w/ a 40k GVW tru cool w/ a temp regulator so it'll allow it to warm up in the winter. I'm hoping that'll take care of the temps on mine

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58