Elctronic/electric activated cooling fan

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr

Honestly from what I have seen with mine and from reading other's responses I would recommend that you put an auxillary trans cooler in front of the radiator. ford put them there on some models and I'm sure that your tow boss has one. Ford really didn't compensate for backing the heavy loads that the trucks are rated to tow. The stock trans cooling system works acceptably as long as you are going forward and with the torque converter locked. When you have to run with it unlocked for whatever reason or are backing up it generates lots of heat. You really need to determine the size of the cooler if any is present in front of the radiator. You can get a larger trans cooler and simply replace it. More than likely the cooler is a tube & fin design which is less efficent when compared to stacked plate design. You will find many people who will tell you that you can't overcool an automatic transmission however they were designed to work in a specific heat range so its' best to run them right around 180 hence why ford put the cooler bypass valves on the 4R100 and I'm sure something similar on the torque shift tranny. This theoretically allows you to put whatever cooling you want in the circuit and the transmission will regulate itself. Quite a few people have put the tru-cool 4590 in addition to the cooler that is built into the radiator and have reported that they are seeing controlable transmission temperatures. The downside is that many of the people in colder climates have reported that with that cooler present they are not seeing any detectable transmission temperature in the winter months in the colder climates and actually some in texas saying winter temperatures barely moved the trans temp guage. Most guys said that except for a slight rise when backing they were running between 80-90° over ambient temperature. The option that I have sitting in the garage waiting to go on the truck is the tru-cool 4739 with the external bypass. The external bypass is an additional thermal bypass so that you will allow the temperatures to reach ideal operating temperatures. The 4590 is a 28k GVW cooler while the 4739 is a 40k gvw cooler. (why are they rated by gvw not BTU? :dunno ) It is my opinion that with the additional cooling between the two you need the thermal bypass option especially when running unloaded. You can pick up either model from here. Including shipping that is the cheapest place I've found them except for an occasional auction on ebay for $5 less or so. And as yet another option for you since you're looking specificially to keep the transmission cool you can look at coolers that have a fan attached to them which should give you the additional cooling for the transmission specifically. There are variants available where the fan will turn on when the temperature of the fluid reaches a specific temperature and others where you will need to control the fan manually though as you can see here they are a much more expensive option.

The reason reverse generates more heat is because the internal mechanisms of the transmission require more fluid to move the same distance when compared with the forward gears. When given the same volume but heating up even more fluid in the same amount of time. As well as the fact that you will never lock your torque converter in reverse.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Thanks
and yep the tow boss has some huge heat transfer devices up front. I just lean to the overprotected mode of reality

Thats exactly what i was looking at, a nice stacked cooler, and a fan . put it back aft under the bed.
I meant to say earlier i only did the 4low towing in reverse, then i think it would be PUSHING :oops:

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I used to drop in 4low and idle the 30 footer 10k into the back yard up a grassy knole. slow and sweet with TONS o TQ
then the 2002, 2wd dually i did the same thing, slow and steady then I would have to throttle her some. lots of rpm and very slow movement. if you gooosed it I would dig two deep holes.

now with 13.5k i resign to gravel or concrete.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello powerboatr:
I would always heat my transmission up to the point it would boil over. I started letting the truck cool for about 30 min. before I would back my 11,500 HitchHiker up the hill into the back yard where I store the RV.
I now have a 2006 PSD F-350 Dually with 4.10 and it backed the trailer into the yard the other day in the towhaul mode and didn't get a rise out of it.
Good luck, I am still in the learing mode on my new truck.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
so far i havent had much temp rise, but was looking for some added insurance compared to previous experience.
I run up the mountain everyday at 65mph 20lbs of boost and she flat runs real smooth, I need to finish my pyro install this weekend.
as far as my tow boss 4.30 rears...
I will tell you this
my shift patterns are about to drive me nuts.
if you accelerate briskly and have to get out of the throttle before it gets to 4th it will surge and tehn drop back after the throttle is let off.
never really feels engaged compared to my 7.3
didnt mean to change the subject

CHPMustang

Reaction score
WD40 said:
Hello powerboatr:
I would always heat my transmission up to the point it would boil over. I started letting the truck cool for about 30 min. before I would back my 11,500 HitchHiker up the hill into the back yard where I store the RV.
I now have a 2006 PSD F-350 Dually with 4.10 and it backed the trailer into the yard the other day in the towhaul mode and didn't get a rise out of it.
Good luck, I am still in the learing mode on my new truck.
Welcome aboard WD40,Great to have you with us :sweet

Bill :cowboy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58