Help Needed Electrical Issues?

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I’ve been having electrical issues with my truck since this winter. When it gets pretty cold (Below 30 degrees), the truck just won’t turn over. I jump it off with another truck and it cranks right up. Both batteries are less than 6 months old, I’ve had the alternator checked and it checks out, proper put-out. Since the weather has started to warm up, it haven’t had any trouble with it starting until this past weekend. Went out to crank it up Saturday morning and it wouldn't crank (wouldn't turn over - batteries were dead). Had to jump it off. Every since, it’s been sounding weak starting, but it’s been starting. And when I jump it off another truck, it turns over great. So I don’t think it’s the starter. I’ve cleaned the cables to where they shine.

A buddy of mine said he kind of had the same issue and he fixed his by replacing all of his cables. He said they corrode away from the connections, inside the rubber coatings. Has anybody else had this issue? Has anybody changed their cables? If so, which cables did you change and did you get them all from the dealership? I’ve noticed that a few of them have odd connectors.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Corrosion is a common problem with the cables. Check them very carefully and replace the ones that show any signs of this villain. Next I would check your batteries again at a good shop, not Kragens or Auto Zone.

Dave :)

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i guess the best way to check would be to cut the rubber coating back a little ways from the connection and see if any corrosion exist? or do you know of a trick?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said.... and be sure they are disconnected and isolated from each-other.. and the truck.

What do you mean by.. odd connectors ??

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
not having the truck in front of me, If I recall correctly, the negative, off of the pasenger side battery splits to 5 or 6 different smaller wires. And the battery clamps don't appear to be a simple clamp that can be purchases at an auto store. right?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not having the truck in front of me, If I recall correctly, the negative, off of the pasenger side battery splits to 5 or 6 different smaller wires. And the battery clamps don't appear to be a simple clamp that can be purchases at an auto store. right?

Hmmm.. Negative side ??? almost need to see a Pic.. but that could be an issue, if those wires are (Grounds) connected to something that pulls any Amps.. during a Start.. in relation to the Batts, Clamps & Cable condition. (?)

Joe

Last edited:

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I guess i should start with the positive running from my driver's side down to the starter, the positive running from the pasenger's side battery over to the driver's side battery?
the attached pics are of the pos. running off the passenger side of the battery. they look like fuse wires?

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
looking at it again this morning, it appears I'm getting some more corrosion. I even put those damn washer thingys that are supposed to attract the corrosion.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They are fuse links. And they are on the + side of the battery and not the negative side. Don't mess with them, just replace if you see any signs of corrosion like white stuff on the wires.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58