Emergency tool kit

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 F350 (6.5 P/S). I want to buy a small tool kit to keep on the truck in case of small emergencies. What tools would you buy? What are the must have size wrenches/sockets and screwdrivers, etc I need? I don't want to have to buy a huge set of sockets and wrenches when all I may need is three common sizes.

If it's a major breakdown on the road, I have roadside assistance, or I'd call for a tow truck.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
With a brand new truck under warrant I would think you would only need the basics: Pliers, vice grips, hammer, adjustable wrench, jumper cables, piece of pipe(large enough to fit over the breaker bar), and tire changing tools. I always ditch the factory jack and carry a bottle jack and a piece of 2x6. I also carry a 1/2" breaker bar and deep sockets for the truck and trailer. A basic metric set will get you by. You can get cheap sets at Harbor Freight. I don't recommend their tools for routine shop use but I carry a set in the truck.

Scott

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
You can get cheap sets at Harbor Freight. I don't recommend their tools for routine shop use but I carry a set in the truck.

JMHO but I disagree on keeping "cheep" tools for "emergency use". During an on road repair I want a set of tools I can count on. Not ones that may round off the corners of bolts, or snap when I'm 100 miles from a store. I use Craftsman tools. Never had a problem with them. I keep most of my tools in my truck, but you should be able to get by with a metric 3/8" drive socket set, a set of straight wrenches. Hammer duct tape and Vice grips. Screwdriver that had interchangeable bits with a set of Torx bits. Also a AAA card and a cell phone.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I agree. Good tools are invaluble to have. On long trips the good tools go in the truck. For everyday running around town, I carry the cheap set.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Don't forget a small, well equipped first aid kit, a good flashlight, and a fire extinguisher.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Road side flare kit (when broke down at night, so others will see you)
Extra batteries for the flash light
Electrical connectors (3-ways, butt connectors, etc.)
Good pair of non-slip gloves
Mechanic gloves
Cell phone charger

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Road side flare kit (when broke down at night, so others will see you)
Extra batteries for the flash light
Electrical connectors (3-ways, butt connectors, etc.)
Good pair of non-slip gloves
Mechanic gloves
Cell phone charger

Should have added- my truck is a commercial vehicle, so I already have emergency triangles, leather gloves/work gloves, extinguisher, cell phone/charger, flashlight/extra battereis, CB radio, Roadside assistance card (while under warranty).

Are most of the bolts/nuts metric? Or is it SAE sizes? or both??
If you had to get one size ratchet, what drive would you use? I thought the 1/2 in. drive would be good.

I was trying to get by with just the sizes of wrenches I'd really need vice getting a socket set, and wrench set. Basically a small bag with the essentials. Maybe I'm trying to be too simple about it. I know sometimes it's cheaper to simply buy the kits instead of individual sockets.

I thinking about Great Neck, Husky, or Craftsman brands.
Instead of a screwdriver set I thought about a good combo screwdriver with 2 different flat and two phillips sizes.

The truck came with no spare tire and jack so I need to get one and I'm looking for a bottle jack and 4-way lug wrench. What's the best took to take the lugs off the rear dually wheels? I don't think my 4-way will fit. The lugs seem too deep.
Plus I have the timber to stand it on (my dunnage on the flatbed.

Thanks!!
If we can get a good "on board tool kit" designed, it would make a good sticky.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at tools at a Lowes store and saw a nice "through socket" set that looked interesting. Would eliminate needing deep sockets. Made by Kobalt. Are these a good brand?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have some Kobalt tools in my truck, they have never let me down.

A lot of the stuff under the hood on my 6.0 is mm.

I know the boost tube clamps are a 11mm, not sure about the 6.4 (very handy to have around)

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I don't want to have to buy both mm and sae. Think I'm going to get the Kobalt "through ratchet" socket set and a combination screwdriver set. A small set of wrenches, a small ball pein hammer, adjustable locking pliers, and a canvas bag to throw em in.

I thought about hitting the pawn shop in town, they seem to always have tools too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58