Question Emissions for California

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It also depends on where in CA you are moving to, the county I live in does not require you to somg your truck at all. I don't even have a cat.

I was hoping to get away from all of that stuff, but Mendocino County isn't far enough away from the Bay Area. I had to smog my truck almost two years ago and will have to do it again this year. :(

Dave :coffee

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The early 99 I used to own, had a cat originally. There was not any sticker under the hood where emmissions stickers typically are located, that said anything about having/requiring a cat.

With the mid-model year revisions commonly reffered to as 99.5 trucks, the cat was discontinued. :dunno The lack of a cat continued, to my knowledge, until the 7.3 was discontinued in favor of the 6.0.

FWIW, the cat that was on my old truck fell off and/or ran away. Without any sort of emissions sticker under the hood, litterally 99% of people could not tell the difference between an early 99 and a 99.5, or in the case of this discussion, which truck was supposed to have a cat and which one wasn't..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My old roommate has a 2000 F-350 Diesel that came from the factory without a CAT and was delivered here in Calif. Who knows???

Dave :dunno

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
Well I would be moving to the Fort Bragg Area. Its weird that all theses trucks are so different.... Its like Ford was attempting to try all sorts of different things at the same time. lol

Travis

Sdpfitter

Fireman
Reaction score
From the info I found Fort Bragg is in Mendocino County where smog is not required, so good news!!

Sdpfitter

Fireman
Reaction score
Counties that Require a Smog Inspection for Vehicle Registration Renewal

Alameda
Butte
Colusa
Contra Costa
Fresno
Glenn
Kern
Kings
Los Angeles
Madera
Marin
Merced
Monterey
Napa
Nevada
Orange
Sacramento
San Benito
San Francisco
San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo
San Mateo
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara
Santa Cruz
Shasta
Solano
Stanislaus
Sutter
Tehama
Tulare
Ventura
Yolo
Yuba

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Last edited:

Sdpfitter

Fireman
Reaction score
I was hoping to get away from all of that stuff, but Mendocino County isn't far enough away from the Bay Area. I had to smog my truck almost two years ago and will have to do it again this year. :(

Dave :coffee
DaveBen thats weird the DMV website doesen't mention Mendocino as one of the county's that require smog.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen thats weird the DMV website doesen't mention Mendocino as one of the county's that require smog.

Well the DMV wants a smog inspection for license renewal. Typical right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. The DMV is NOT my most favored government department. Stay tuned and I will report whether or not they ask for an inspection or not, in October.

Dave :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14