engine anilizer codes

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the 05 in today and the scanner came back with 2 codes
P0299 TC/SC under boost
P0234 turbo over boost
This is in regards to the pulling camper thread we have been discusing
any ideas on what these 2 codes mean? The guy at the garage was not a diesel mechanic

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
P0234 is Engine Over boost and P0299 is under boost so I am guessing you have a dirty EGR Valve. You can remove it and clean it up and reinstall it yourself. Easy fix.

Dave

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, is there a picture and procedure somewhere to do this? my old cars had it on the manifold but they are from the 60's

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but no article on this, here. The EGR is next to the Big Intake Elbow that runs from the Intake Air Cooler. It is held in with four 10mm bolts. Remove the wire connector and the bolts and twist the EGR back and forth a few times to loosen any carbon. Then pry it out with a small screwdriver or pry-bar (6" in length). Then clean it using a small brass wire brush and carb cleaner. DO NOT SOAK the electrical top half of the EGR. Good luck!

Dave :thumbs

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it pulled, mine has 2 5/16" bolts holding it. Wish I could download pics here, it is caked completely shut with big chunks of carbon. What do you do about what is inside the opening or just leave the carbon alone?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Vacuum and time. You need to get up into the ports on each side. I used a wire tube brush about 18" long and a vacuum with a rubber hose on it. Part of a garden hose works well to suck the crap up. On my 04 I just unpluged the EGR no cell light. I dont know about the 05 you may get a light.

Last edited:

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used shop vac and got the main area if that isn't good enough I will redo all of it in a couple months. Already put it back together, 2 cans of carb cleaner, a toothbrush and rags made it look alot beter. Does unhooking the egr affect it in a neg way?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will set a code. But it won't hurt any thing. There are tuners that will take care of the codes. The trick to keeping the EGR clean is to GET ON IT frequently. Jump on it every time you get onto a freeway or one of those out of the way country roads. Drive it until the temps get to normal before shutting it down. Babying your diesel truck is bad for it. All diesels like to be run and run hard. If you want a grocery getter, get a gas rig of some sort.

Dave :)

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first 6.0 I had 3 of the 7.3 SD engines and never had a problem before. I pulled my backhoe and dozer with them maybe that is why they stayed cleaner I dont pull with this one as much.
Seems like it all happened at one time also, I had to put a rear axle seal and backing plate on in the last week also

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14