Question Engine Block Heater

09SDTow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to the world of Diesel... 09 Lariat Crew 4x4
Just a question... How can you tell if the engine block heater is working? I am not sure what to expect so just wondering, Should I expect the temp gauges to register a temp in the AM after having it plugged in all night?
Thanks in advance for the help.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The temperatures will NOT climb with the heater plugged it. It will just start easier. The engine will warm up a little quicker and generate heat to the heater faster.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave sez and.. you >might< see the Temp needle move just a tad when you turn the key on, as compared to Stone Cold. Mine does.(Depending on how long you have it plugged in ofcourse)

;) The Test to see if it's work'n ? Look at yer home electric meter, then plug the Block Heater in.. go back and look at the meter again :eek::eek:

That puppy pulls about 12-1500 Watts.

Fine69

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD! You'll find a lot of helpful info here. Congrats on the new truck too, how about posting some pics? You're probably the first member with an 09 on the site.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Test to see if it's work'n ? Look at yer home electric meter, then plug the Block Heater in.. go back and look at the meter again :eek::eek:

That puppy pulls about 12-1500 Watts.

X2
That's why I got a heavy duty timer rated for running a block heater. Much cheaper to have it plugged in for 2 hours compared to 8.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2
That's why I got a heavy duty timer rated for running a block heater. Much cheaper to have it plugged in for 2 hours compared to 8.

;tu Roger That Fer Shur

2-3 hours is plenty, as a rule. But if you live in the Frozen North, maybe more On time is needed. Yer call.

09Sdtow ? Home Depot, Lowes and the like.. have 15 & 20 amp plug-in timers, be sure to use a HD (12 gauge) extention cord too.

And OBTW Sorry I didn't see it the first time.. ;tu welcome to SDD ;tu

Last edited:

09SDTow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the advice

I have just updated my profile picture to a picture of my new truck taken on the lot pre PDI and delivery. I will post more when I get some. Just picked the truck up Wednesday. I have already gotten a lot of useful information from this site which helped influence my decision to get a Super Duty Diesel.
So thanks already!!!
I'll try the power meter and see if I can notice any change...
I looked at all the trucks available GMC, Dodge, and Ford. I have always been a GM man, wait no booing please. :sorry
But what can I say The Ford came out on top for having the sturdy feel of a real truck and a ride position I liked. I'm sure it will last me a long time.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wuz gonna say u will kno itz workin if ur electric bill sky rockets...LoL !!!

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the world of Diesel... 09 Lariat Crew 4x4
Just a question... How can you tell if the engine block heater is working? I am not sure what to expect so just wondering, Should I expect the temp gauges to register a temp in the AM after having it plugged in all night?
Thanks in advance for the help.
yep, u should see just a slight rise in the temp guage in the a.m. depending on the present outside temp.:)

bowstring

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I can hear the element start to heat about 10 seconds after I plug it in, sounds like a hot stoker in water if you listen by the grille,also when kept in garage sometimes the glowplug like doesn't come on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58