Engine cleaning

apsnla

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just starting my first adventure under my super duty's hood to replace the injector wire harness and valve cover gaskets. just starting to take apart the intake and realized that the top of my engine has so so much crap caked onto it that I'm not sure i'll be able to keep it all out once i get it apart. Time to do some cleaning.... Is it all right to use a presure washer around all that wiring? Are there any components i need to stay away from? I'd Really hate to cause any problems trying to prevent one! Thanks!

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the diesel engine supplement included with the owner's manual discusses the process of cleaning your engine and what you should do to protect various components. Hope this helps.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just starting my first adventure under my super duty's hood to replace the injector wire harness and valve cover gaskets. just starting to take apart the intake and realized that the top of my engine has so so much crap caked onto it that I'm not sure i'll be able to keep it all out once i get it apart. Time to do some cleaning.... Is it all right to use a presure washer around all that wiring? Are there any components i need to stay away from? I'd Really hate to cause any problems trying to prevent one! Thanks!

Just my .03 but I vote NO... on the Pressure Washer. You stand a real good chance of getting water into places where you don't want it.... and may Never find it without a Major trouble shoot....like in connectors and such. Not to mention the corrosion that may come along later.. in the connections.

[On a COLD Engine] I use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green, sprayed liberally all over under the hood area (staying away from the Alternator and major wire looms and connections). Full strength on the Grungy parts. Let it set for a few minutes, then Lightly but Well.. rinse it all off with the garden hose, with no more than House pressure.... Cover the Alternator, Then hand dry and wipe it all down.

:dunno

Joe

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not that it was my question but that helps me too. Thanks guys. :)

blackjudas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Only reason I asked is because I have a can of the stuff, and if memory serves me correctly; it states that it shouldn't come into contact with plastics so I didn't use it. I was planning on using your basic run-of-the-mill engine degreaser in a can.

If simple green is better, I'm all for it. Got lots of stuff I need to tinker with in the engine compartment so having it clean should help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58