Engine Cleaning

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any advice/tips on cleaning the engine and engine compartment on our trucks? How safe is it to use the carwash guns on the trucks?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any advice/tips on cleaning the engine and engine compartment on our trucks? How safe is it to use the carwash guns on the trucks?

Just my .03 ? DO NOT USE anything more than house pressure (50/60 psi) from a garden hose.. you stand a real good chance of getting water into places that will give you [>Allot<] of Grief.... with any kind of Pressure Washer.

What I do ? On a cold motor.. Cover the Alternator, drape garbage bags over the fenders and the windshield... then use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green sprayed liberally all over the engine compartment.. Full strength on the Grungy parts..let it set/work for a few.. then rinse it all off.. trying to not spray directly on major connections and the like. Let it air dry, wipe it down.. then start the engine and bring it up to idle Op temp. Then detail to my level of Clean.

Works for me :dunno

Joe

Hades

super n00b
Reaction score
I don't own a SD (yet) so I don't know if diesels are different, but with every other truck I've owned this is how I cleaned the engine/compartment:

spray generously with Simple Green. Let sit for 5 minutes or so. Rinse it off with the engine running. Once it's rinsed off really well close the hood with the engine running. Let the heat of the engine dry it. Turn the engine off and wipe it down with a rag. Lastly, use a plastic detailer to shine all the plastic covers, etc.

Hope this helps.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hose that sumbiotch down with Engine Brite Gel, let it sit 10 minutes, and garden hose it away...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14