Engine Coolant "Mods"

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to put a coolant filter on my 2005 6.0. Am I correct that I do not want to run a filter with SCA's in it? Is the dieselsite setup worth the 120 bucks? How about 80 bucks for the SP Diesel one? Or just piece it together from the parts store?

Where can I find a 203° thermostat? The dieselsite only seems to show them for 7.3's. Is it even a mod worth doing on the 6.0's? Will I need a new housing when I install it?

Is Evans Coolant worth the $$$$, or will I be just fine with a properly serviced gold coolant setup?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No SCA's in the filter. I have a coolant filter on my 6.0 and I got it from Dieselsite. 203° thermostat isn't being made for our engines, as far as I know. I have never seen one for sale. Don't screw with the coolant, just use Motorcraft Gold coolant from Ford. It will last for 100,000 miles without messing with it.

Dave :)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
No SCA's in the filter. I have a coolant filter on my 6.0 and I got it from Dieselsite. 203° thermostat isn't being made for our engines, as far as I know. I have never seen one for sale. Don't screw with the coolant, just use Motorcraft Gold coolant from Ford. It will last for 100,000 miles without messing with it.

Dave :)

umm me to
the only complaint i had was it was sold as a COMPLET kit.... IMO that means all nuts ans washers... it is sold missing some needed washers. I have been pleased with mine other than that

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as said, no SCA needed...I like my dieselsite coolant filter...
buy yourself some extra filters...the 1st two will plug pretty
quickly.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see, as I figured on pretty much most parts.

I don't mind piecing things together, I have good industrial suppliers, a shop, and a pretty good hardware inventory. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see, as I figured on pretty much most parts.

I don't mind piecing things together, I have good industrial suppliers, a shop, and a pretty good hardware inventory. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

I pieced one together for my '98 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 gasser. For my F-350 PSD, it was well worth just getting the thedieselsite kit.

I'll sell you the old filter mount, if you're interested. It's about $50 from NAPA. LMK.

My .02.

Al

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a little cold in here today... What's SCA's?

Supplemental Coolant Additive.

It's used on alot of systems with green fluid, to keep the test strips coming back like one wants them. You can either add it in a liquid form or through a filter with it in there, the filter might be a better route, as it slowly disperses them, rather than all at once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14