Engine cuts out??

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i could have a few issues but heres the deal,

Randomly my engine will cut out for not more than one second. this can be during acceleration or engine idle and tank selection makes no difference.

the engine valley is full of diesel but i have not noticed it dripping to the ground.

i have a new oil leak appearing to be just above the headers.

sometimes i cannot start the truck, after 3 tries i can switch to the front tank and it'll fire right up.

while idling if i switch tanks the rear take seems to slow the engine just a tad. it'll speed up again if i flip back to the front.

Anyone have i great solution here? I'm mostly worried about my engine dying on the road.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought is your fuel pump... leaking and/or weak.

Maybe it's having a harder time pulling from the rear tank could be why it slows or won't start with rear tank selected.

Is your oil leak on one side or both?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Fuel in the valley could be a leaking fuel bowl or a weeping fuel pump. Cutting out almost sounds like CPS.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
bbressler, i cant see where the oil is leaking from exactly. i think it's only on one side.

So is there a single pump or dual pumps sunk inside of the tank like the 150's?... i've sealed the diesel leak before by tightening the... i cont remember.. jango bolt? ... can the leak also be sucking in an air bubble every now and then causing the engine to cut out? seems to percise to be that. it does sound electrical.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
engine shut down completly this time. (for more than one sec as always before) had to switch to the rear tank this time to start up. once running flipped to the front and still running. im wondering if alternating tanks just stimulates the fuel pump into running again... if it's the fuel pump???

has anyone had fuel pump issues or similar resolved issues? i just wonder if im looking in the right place.

Last edited:

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i found this post on another site... so i stole it and posted it here:

Posted a problem last week about my 2000 F350 4 x 4 dually. Cam sensor went bad and the engine just died while cruising. Ford changed out under warranty. What scares me is that in talking to a guy while waiting in the service dept., he tells me that last year, same thing happened to him. His engine just died, without warning. He happened to be travelling down I-10 about 75 mph when it happened, put the truck in neutral trying to start it again. Said he'd slowed to about 40 mph, when a BUS slammed into him!!! From your posts, I gather that the cam sensor is a problem. For me, I was alone, on a straight road, going about 45 mph when mine died. Some of you told me you carry extra sensors!

Seems this is a potentially dangerous problem. Anyone familiar with any Ford bulletins on the problem? Anything one can do to prevent it from happening? Is there ever any warning that the cam sensor is bad??

F350 Cam Sensor bad
The way yours went out, and the other guy's too, are kinda rare, from what I've heard and experienced. Mine followed the "classic" style of failure. It started by the truck dying a few times at idle. It would start back up without a problem. Not knowing what was causing it at the time, I kept driving it. After a few days of doing this, it started dying at slightly higher speeds, like coasting up to a red light. After a few more days, it started dying while slowing down to make a turn in a residential area. At that point I discovered what was causing it, and replaced the CPS. I haven't had a problem with it since. Did yours ever die for no apparent reason?

96P_Stroke4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem with my cps a few years ago... would not start, switched tanks and started right up. it had also stalled out a few times before that. replaaced the cps and all was well

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Crumm, How would i tell if it's the CPS?

When the CPS goes bad (naughty naughty), the computer thinks there is a problem and basically shuts the truck off. It could be intermittent (runs fine at cruise, but wont idle) or or it could be absolute. (truck just up and died! no reason!) There is no timeline, no precursor, no warning. You could go 100k miles, or 10k miles between failures.

One sign of a failed CPS is your Tach will not move while cranking the engine over. This is on long extended cranking. Short cranking, on a good CPS will not register either If you have an AIC (APCM) installed, it may not registered RPM's either. The Tach gets its reference from the CPS sensor and if its not sending a signal, no tach.

Source -- Forgotton net

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14