Help Needed Engine knocking, Maybe Injectors?

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying, I have had injector issues for a while, My truck smokes white smoke at idle/low speeds.

This might be different issue, I was driving out of town and got stranded 180 miles away from my home and had to be towed home.

I was on the Highway going about 80mph and service engine light comes on and shuts down, It would not re-start until many hours later and would only stay on for about 10 seconds and die It did that about 3-4 times until I killed the battery.

Today after charging the batteries, It started right up, After 10-12 seconds it starts knocking like its out of fuel and service engine light comes on, I re-start and it does the same thing each time.

Things I did while stranded:
I installed my back up CPS
Drained the fuel bowl thinking there was water in it
Im thinking maybe the injectors are shot BUT why would it run fine after re-starting the engine? Thanks in advance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Scan it for the code. That will give you a better idea than random guesses. Good Luck.

Dave

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a lack of fuel to the injectors, or you're sucking air into the fuel system somewhere.

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did scan it and no codes are found? Service light is off once re-started BUT you can tell a difference once it comes on while running.

dieseltech1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
does the engine sound like it runs out of fuel or does it shut off suddenly there are several items that can cause this issue can you monitor the engine when it does run see what the icp is doing check for stored codes

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it runs out of fuel as it starts knocking, But I'm thinking its electrical issue. SES comes on, As soon as I shut it off and re-start it runs fine for another 10 seconds and starts knocking again.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
unplug the ICP sensor, and see if there's a puddle of oil in the connector.. they like to leak.. it then baffles the computer as to the load value on the engine.. and booyah.. a stall.

dieseltech1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i am guessing this is a newer truck with electric fuel pump check fuel pressure sounds like filter is running out of fuel possible pump or tank sock are bad you could also pump cover on filter to see if houseing has sufficient fuel

Last edited:

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much fuel in the tank?
It has over half a tank

unplug the ICP sensor, and see if there's a puddle of oil in the connector.. they like to leak.. it then baffles the computer as to the load value on the engine.. and booyah.. a stall.
Please educate me where is the ICP sensor? After doing a google search, I found a video or an earlier powerstroke that sounds just like mine acting up.
YouTube - 7.3 powerstroke injector pressure problems?

i am guessing this is a newer truck with electric fuel pump check fuel pressure sounds like filter is running out of fuel possible pump or tank sock are bad you could also pump cover on filter to see if houseing has sufficient fuel
I will check the fuel filter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58