Engine light on

eddieo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I took my truck in last Wednesday for a new alternator ,picked it up late . When I got in to leave I noticed a light on the dash on(Little engine light). Went back in to ask about it and they said it was a code they forgot to clear. Come back later in the week and they will clear it . Said it would take 30 to 45 min. I work 5 AM to 4:30 pm and the diesel tec.s leave at 3:30 Is this some thing that can be cleared by disconnecting the batteries or do I have to go to .....:( Them. Thanks eddie

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They will go away after many key cycles. I think it is six for minor codes and something like 50 for more severe codes. A scanner (code reader) can clear the codes in a few minutes.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
daveben/eddieo:
just for clarification, it is after 34 key cycles as i was told by ser. mgr & tech. when all my engine work was completed back in May - as long as it does not show up again, then it will re-apper...

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What codes would be set for changing an alternator? Did you have the engine light on when you took it in If not then they may have unhooked something and forgot to reconnect it. I would check under the hood around the alternator and make sure everything is connected good. Who knows, it may save you a return trip. Oh yeah, I wouldn't have left until they fixed the problem!

Scott

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im w/ scott..id wanna know MORE...and it certainly shouldnt take more
than about 5min to clear a code...I wouldnt let 'em charge me for it either !

eddieo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Scott , I would have, but at 5:30 Pm there was no one to fix it. The engine light wasn't on when I brought it to them just the little battery light.I will take a look under the hood.Thanks again, eddie

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How dare they go home and have another life! -mad Ok I guess that would make a difference. When you take it back make sure they write the code down because I would like to know what happened. That is if you don't solve it first.

Scott

eddieo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Will do! And thanks for your help.Going there 7:am tomorrow than leaving to go camping. Nittny Mountain PA.The kids love it .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14