engine lopes on start up

muddinmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i bought a stainless cross over pipe for the oil line and it still lopes HARD on first start in the morning. if i give it some throttle it will quit, is something wrong with my superturd?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would bet big $$$ that you are running 15W40 oil. I ran that oil until I developed the lopes. Switched to 5W40 Synthetic oil and that cured the lopes. Try it. You can get Rotella T Synthetic oil at Wal Mart for something like $18 per gallon.

Dave :)

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a stainless cross over pipe for the oil line and it still lopes HARD on first start in the morning. if i give it some throttle it will quit, is something wrong with my superturd?

what year truck?if its a 7.3 do you have a chip?if so i would rule out that first.let us know

muddinmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
its a 2000 with the 7.3. i have a tony wildman chip on it. if i leave it in the economy setting it lopes. if i push the pedal or turn the switch to race setting it doesnt lope. but it didnt do it for the first year or so the chip was on there. so im wondering if the lift pump is gettin weak or something

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
no..
I'd do like Dave said and change to the 5w40 Rotella synthetic

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
How long ago did you install the HPX line? You might still have air in the rail. Or.... as some of these guys have suggested it may be time for an oil change, you shouldnt necessarily have to switch to syn but it is a better oil, my old 7.3 would idle like hell when I ran it too far past an oil change.

muddinmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just did a 15-40 delo change few hundred miles ago and added the line. should i crack the fitting while its running to let air escape?

dmd

Reaction score
Make sure to let the WTS light go out (and a little more) on the first cold start of the day. Mine does that sometimes too, I just tap the peddle and it stops. I run 15-40 as the book says to. If in very cold areas then a lower weight would help too.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
just did a 15-40 delo change few hundred miles ago and added the line. should i crack the fitting while its running to let air escape?

Usually any air will purge out of the rail after 50 or so miles of hard running. Were you having the lope issue prior to the oil change and HPX addition? Were you previously running Delo?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58