Engine misfires in the rain

Flathead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 7.3L 6 spd F-250 that misfires only when it rains. A code reader indicates only a misfire. It seems to be air intake related. I have had this problem with standard air filters and with a K&N filter. It seems that the problem is worse when the filter is dirty. Ford dealer has yet to reply to my inquires. Any ideas:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Make sure all your connections at the IDM, PCM and VC harnesses are tight and sealed.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i doubt it has anything to do with the air intake. restricted intake will cause smoke looooooong before it stalls out the engine.

like 95 said, check all connections.

jeaton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an early 99 that use to do the same thing. I took it in for the cps recall and since then no problems. hope this helps

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Someplace, somewhere, I read that a guy was having a running problem either after washing the motor or during a rain (this was a long time ago), but anyhow he found that water was getting into the ICP connector and corroded the pins in the plug. He replaced the ICP or wire connector or something and fixed the problem. He recommended putting di-electric grease into that connector plug to prevent contact corrosion.

I followed that advice and I've never had a similar issue. :dunno

This might be grasping at straws, but it's something to go on.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Make sure the inner fender is in place and that NO moisture is getting to the IDM. I never will understand why it's placed where it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58