Question Engine noise

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your pcm is an xle4 from a 99 and you switch to a pmt 1 or pmt2 it will be quieter. My wifes 99 is a lot louder than my 01. I mean a lot louder. I love the diesel sound but mines nice.

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your pcm is an xle4 from a 99 and you switch to a pmt 1 or pmt2 it will be quieter. My wifes 99 is a lot louder than my 01. I mean a lot louder. I love the diesel sound but mines nice.

THANKS! I'm glad that you can appreciate how loud my '99 is! And I REALLY APPRECIATE the feedback I've been getting on the forum. Unfortunately i really don't understand much of it. For example, what is "a pmt 1 or pmt2"? I went on WIKI and did multiple searches under "Ford Power Stroke" with no luck. Can you possibly give me more detail on that?

My truck has the Banks Powerpack system with all the bells and whistles that go with it.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is.. familurize yourself with the SDD Search & Wiki/DIY functions, to indentify each of the mods I listed.. then get back to us with specific How To questions on each one.

Not knowing your Mechanic.. capabilities.. it would be Waaaay to long a post to get into How.. you do Each one.

The Fuel Pump inlet fitting delete would be the first. $15.00 worth of fuel hose & 2 band clamps..20 minutes of your time.. Done deal. Less air in the fuel reduces "Cackle".

Joe

Thanks Joe... I appreciate your help. Part of my problem now is to familiarize myself with WIKI. I've tried doing a search under Ford Power Stroke and didn't find anything related to what you have suggested. Can you point me toward a specific page within WIKI? If so, hopefully I can take it from there.
THANKS!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Searching for Ford Super Duty on a Ford Super Duty site is not going to do anything. Here is the link to the WIKI Section: TikiWiki Look at all of the articles and if you do not see the articles, click on Articles, on the left side of the page.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe... I appreciate your help. Part of my problem now is to familiarize myself with WIKI. I've tried doing a search under Ford Power Stroke and didn't find anything related to what you have suggested. Can you point me toward a specific page within WIKI? If so, hopefully I can take it from there.
THANKS!

Searching for Ford Super Duty on a Ford Super Duty site is not going to do anything. Here is the link to the WIKI Section: TikiWiki Look at all of the articles and if you do not see the articles, click on Articles, on the left side of the page.

Dave

;tu What Dave said Finkster.

If you have any specific questions.. Just ask. We'll help you through them.

Joe

MisterMoe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, this is all good... I've had an E350 for a while, did a 1000 mile tow with it and nearly went deaf - understandable since I'm practically sitting on the engine. So, I bought a 200k mile F350 (as far as I know, completely stock) thinking the noise level would be less - well, I must say that the dually part worked out, the dually was incredibly more stable than the van but the noise... even with ear plugs I think I damaged my hearing. I can't really describe it - it's not exhaust noise, it's just general LOUD! So Finkstr, I know what you mean. I like diesel sounds but this is ridiculous.

I have some searching to do on my truck, the power was way down and the mileage was horrible - 9mpg - I wasn't loaded heavy, maybe only 5k pounds trailer weight. Meanwhile I'll check out all these other tips too. Any other suggestions?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, this is all good... I've had an E350 for a while, did a 1000 mile tow with it and nearly went deaf - understandable since I'm practically sitting on the engine. So, I bought a 200k mile F350 (as far as I know, completely stock) thinking the noise level would be less - well, I must say that the dually part worked out, the dually was incredibly more stable than the van but the noise... even with ear plugs I think I damaged my hearing. I can't really describe it - it's not exhaust noise, it's just general LOUD! So Finkstr, I know what you mean. I like diesel sounds but this is ridiculous.

I have some searching to do on my truck, the power was way down and the mileage was horrible - 9mpg - I wasn't loaded heavy, maybe only 5k pounds trailer weight. Meanwhile I'll check out all these other tips too. Any other suggestions?

Welcome to the site :coffee

your mileage seems a bit low however it all depends on what you're towing weight has some impact on your fuel consumption however wind drag, and speed also have significant impacts. This leaves out things like gear ratio, tires, filters, etc.

I have a 4X10' utility trailer that weighs in right at 1k it has a 6' tall expanded steel tailgate ramp. When the ramp is vertical I get roughly 11-12 mpg @ 70. When that ramp folded flat or removed the mileage is in the 15-17 neighborhood the same as with no trailer. My mileage might differ 1/2 MPG for a trailer loaded with 5k of mulch.

A bit more information about your truck and what you're towing will be a tremendous help for us to give you some advice that would be beneficial. It'd be great if we knew if you have an auto or stick, 2wd or 4wd, rear end ratio if you know, speed you're driving when towing, mpg empty, etc.

MisterMoe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok - thanks for the reply. Here's some more info - the truck is a CC DRW 4x4, 200+k on the clock, all stock as far as I know with an automatic and 4.10 gears. The trailer is a 24' enclosed car hauler, tandem wheels with a v nose so the wind resistance shouldn't be all that bad. I couldn't have had more than 2k in the trailer so total trailer weight was probably around 5k. I only drove the speed limit on this 3000 mile trip - mostly 65mph. I'm thinking 9mpg was a lot low. I'm not expecting any 20mpg with this rig but 9???

Now this weekend I got under the truck and looked around - soot around one up-pipe gasket... So, bellowed up-pipes are on order along with some other stuff. I'll let you know what happens once I get those installed but I'm thinking I'm losing a lot of boost from that leak. Oh yeah, I do have a boost gauge - still in the box in the basement :doh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64